I am a relatively new chicken mom. 1 1/2 yrs. Not sure what is going on with my buff orpington

JTflwrldy

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2022
Hello everyone!
Her name is Mini. She was my beautiful buff baby.
Behavior change as follows: will not leave coop. I physically pick her up and put her @ water or feeder 3 times daily. This has been going on for 3 weeks. I thought she had gone "broody" but now her feather structure seems really poor. Not loosing any feathers just dirty looking and almost oily in feel when I pick her up.
I have 5 chickens total. All her sisters are fine.
No food/diet changes.
I did try "fermented" feed a few weeks before this sickly episode began.
I'm attaching a photo.
Mini was beautiful, she just looks so bad now.
Any suggestions or ideas welcome

Attachments

• 20230526_194409.jpg
    20230526_194409.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 189
What's her diet? She looks to have mites or maybe somethings up with her preen gland?
I feed scratch and peck farms organic 18% protein
And.. this feed pictured below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230526-203115_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230526-203115_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 10
Have you checked for mites?
I feel silly asking. How do you check?
I apologize and thank you for your help.
As a child we had chickens. Just regular old white chickens that were a farm staple.
As I said above, I'm relatively new to backyard chicken raising in adult life and I had no idea that chickens had so many issues 😁

I feel silly asking. How do you check?
I apologize and thank you for your help.
As a child we had chickens. Just regular old white chickens that were a farm staple.
As I said above, I'm relatively new to backyard chicken raising in adult life and I had no idea that chickens had so many issues 😁
Ok, lol, sorry.
You run your hand under the roost at night, if it come back red, you have mites. You can also check for 'dirt clumps' around the base of the feathers for lice.
To check her preen gland, it's on her back at the base of her tail, it shouldn't look red or inflammed.

Ok, lol, sorry.
You run your hand under the roost at night, if it come back red, you have mites. You can also check for 'dirt clumps' around the base of the feathers for lice.
To check her preen gland, it's on her back at the base of her tail, it shouldn't look red or inflammed.
I want to thank you for your guidance. I will check all that you have suggested.
We have twin granddaughters and this is what they wanted for Christmas last year. They raised these girls from hatchlings.
We have a great fenced area 80ft x 25ft along with a coop for their safety and comfort.
Your kindness and guidance is greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom