I am beaming with Pride!

Arelwood

Songster
Feb 13, 2022
I began the transition from inside brooder to outside coop this week. I just couldn't stand them in the house anymore and they looked so sad and bored.
So Friday afternoon, I put them in the outside pen as usual and let them wander around until dusk. The door between the coop and run has been open for a week, trying to tempt them in with food, water, scratch. But no takers. Friday at dusk I carry them one-by-one into the coop instead of back to the brooder.

Some squawking and panicking, but they settled.

Saturday morning, open the coop and take them back inside because there was a sudden tornado warning (insert grouchy face here). Didn't get a single drop of rain, just lots of wind. Back out to the coop in the afternoon. Decided to put a camping lantern in the coop around 7pm. At 8:30pm I go out - fully expecting them to be huddled in a corner of the run. To my very great surprise all but one chicken was in the coop! Even the little gimpy one who I wasn't sure could use the ramp. The final chicken had got herself stuck in the hospital pen. The wind had shut her in. I rescued her and turned off the light.

Sunday and Monday nights they were all in the coop before 7pm! I was under the impression this was going to be a long process. That I would be carrying chickens in for weeks. Sure, they are just huddled in a heap in a corner instead of using the ample roosts, but they figured out how to be chickens! And! Last night, the one that got shut in the hospital ward, was on a roost at bed check! Really amazing as she is a Polish muppet who can't see anything.

Picture of Bellamy, the Polish who can't see (front right). Picture is actually a few weeks old and her crest is much longer and denser now.
Also pictured: Marlowe (left) who only has 3/4 of a crest. From hatch her poof was a little wonky. The back right quarter of her crest never grew. Makes it easier for her to see and explore. She's always cocking her right eye around at everything.
And Satine (far right, buff silkie) My little gimpy silkie that hasn't grown since week 4. She is a week younger than the Polish. She is the bravest of my babies.
20220409_164903.jpg

Back
Top Bottom