I am flaming mad at the vet.

My daugther's new hamster got wet tail and it's intestines were coming out. I called the vet and they wanted $140 to put a hamster to sleep.
sad.png

(we didn't go that route)

Quote:
I am very sorry about Mr. Yackers. But speaking as someone who worked as front office staff in 3 vets' offices over the years, I have to agree with the above post. Please, please calm down before you go off on anyone, particularly the front office staff. They never set the prices at clinics and screaming at them will get you absolutely nowhere, especially if the vet that employs them values them as employees. Being rude will garner you nothing but enemies in that office. Maybe you don't care, but trust me- you will not gain whatever you think it is you will by coming down on anyone. I understand being upset by an expensive bill- just please think about what you might say and how you are going to say it. It does make a difference in how you are treated in the future- not just at this clinic, but possibly in other nearby clinics. Word spreads.

I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just saying. . . I know what it's like on the other side of the counter.

ETA: Just saw that it's not your regular vet. No need to repeat it. But I stand by what I said.
hmm.png

Last edited:
I nowhere said I was going to yell or be rude. I said I was gonna let them have it and I still plan on doing just that. I am going to tell them how uncaring and wrong it is to add additional pain in an economy like this. We had the money. What if we didn't??? It's wrong and they and their customers are going to know about it.

Quote:
They are going to hear from me, when the waiting room is nice and crowded too. I need to be calm when I go in though, I can really make someone feel small when I need to. And this time I need to. I will ask for the person who set the fee structure. Then I am gonna let em have it.

Maybe I misunderstood this, but waiting until the waiting room "is nice and crowded?" "Making someone feel small?" "I'm gonna let em have it?" You can do that and be nice and polite about it? Maybe you should teach lessons then, because I don't know of anyone who is capable of being polite and making someone feel small at the same time.

That was about how much they wanted to charge me when I had to put a 5 month old kitten down due to a genetic disease that would have been waaaaay over my budget to manage (something about a $3,000 exploratory brain surgery when I was making like $50 a week.) I had to borrow money to put him down and after some pleading she agreed to let me take his body and waive the disposal fees. After she had just seen my cry my heart out holding my little kitty while she put him down.

I am sooo sooo sorry for your loss, and they are all crooks.

I had a dog put down 20 years ago, and paid that amount. It seems reasonable to me. They do need to go over the dog's history and examine the animal because they have to report abuse as well as, they can run into some serious ethics issues if they put a healthy dog down.

To me, it's worth it as the animal suffers less and the medication they use makes it peaceful.

vanilla.exe :

That was about how much they wanted to charge me when I had to put a 5 month old kitten down due to a genetic disease that would have been waaaaay over my budget to manage (something about a $3,000 exploratory brain surgery when I was making like $50 a week.) I had to borrow money to put him down and after some pleading she agreed to let me take his body and waive the disposal fees. After she had just seen my cry my heart out holding my little kitty while she put him down.

I am sooo sooo sorry for your loss, and they are all crooks.

Whoa, back up there. I worked in vet clinics for several years and I think you need to rethink that remark. You're painting with a really broad brush.

Now - the cat and human client were not regular clients at the clinic, brand new, examinations and assessments had to be done anew. We have yet to hear why the cat had to be put down. I am NOT going to pass ANY judgement at all until the full story is known, and since I will never know that, not having BEEN there, I doubt I ever will.

But don't go assuming that all vet clinics are staffed by crooks!

Last edited:
Quote:
They are going to hear from me, when the waiting room is nice and crowded too. I need to be calm when I go in though, I can really make someone feel small when I need to. And this time I need to. I will ask for the person who set the fee structure. Then I am gonna let em have it.

Maybe I misunderstood this, but waiting until the waiting room "is nice and crowded?" "Making someone feel small?" "I'm gonna let em have it?" You can do that and be nice and polite about it? Maybe you should teach lessons then, because I don't know of anyone who is capable of being polite and making someone feel small at the same time.

It's a small office and I plan on having this conversation in the open. And yes I learned how to use my words well throughout my life. I do not plan on being sugary sweet either, but I am not going to demean a person. In addition, I believe I made it clear that I was VERY upset when I started this thread and that was the reason I was waiting to go in. Not everything is as literal as you would like to think, especially over the internet.

Quote:
Whoa, back up there. I worked in vet clinics for several years and I think you need to rethink that remark. You're painting with a really broad brush.

Now - the cat and human client were not regular clients at the clinic, brand new, examinations and assessments had to be done anew. We have yet to hear why the cat had to be put down. I am NOT going to pass ANY judgement at all until the full story is known, and since I will never know that, not having BEEN there, I doubt I ever will.

But don't go assuming that all vet clinics are staffed by crooks!

Why MY cat had to be put down? There were no exams, it was clear he was beyond all medicinal help, but I am more than happy to share with you what happened, however, that could start another whole ugly buncha posts. So, I'll PM you.

ETA: No, not all vets are crooks. There are good and bad as in every profession out there. Our regular vet is fantastic. I just wish he was open today.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom