I am flaming mad at the vet.

I agree that those prices are high, do they have "special" pricing for weekend or emergency visits? A lot of clinics do, unfortunately.

I work at an emergency clinic, and we do not mark up the prices on cremation at all, we charge the client exactly what the crematorium charges us. General cremation for a cat is $40, private cremation where you get the ashes back is $150. Our euthanasia itself is $75, if you want it without an exam, but that includes an IV catheter, and any pre-euthanasia sedative that may need to be given. If you need an exam first to know you are doing the right thing, the euthanasia fee is reduced to $40 since you are also paying the exam fee.

But I know clinics in our area that charge people that aren't their regular clients an "emergency" fee or some other kind of jacked up "convenience" pricing...it sucks.

I'm sorry about Mr. Yackers. It's never easy, even if you know it's coming....
hugs.gif

When we had our Bo put down, we opted for cremation and to get him back. I think it was around $150 or so...maybe a bit more. Most of that was the cremation fee though.

The horrible part was trying to find a vet who would do it. I called 5 different vets before I found one. We had moved to a new area and hadn't needed to take the animals in to be seen so no one would do it since "we weren't' clients".

One place even told me I had to have been a client for 6 months. I told that nasty woman if I knew 6 months ago I'd have to kill my dog, I most assuredly would have rushed in to their clinic.

Anyways, it was horrible. By the time I called the last place, I was in tears and so angry. I was rude to the woman but she was so nice. She had just been through the same thing a few months prior with her dog so she was wonderful. We must have talked for 45 minutes!

I think so of these places forget why they are even around. I think I'd have flipped my lid right then and there! But then, I'm not known for my timing!

Sorry you're going through all this, Debi.

In our area $145 would be considered EXTREMELY reasonable. An office call is $60. And I seem to remember cremation with the ashes back as being $99 when I had to put my boxer down. I think that was almost ten years ago... The minute I walk into a vet's office I know it's going to be at least a hundred dollars no matter what's found.

So sorry for your loss....

Last edited:
I understand the loss of a pet, and I am sorry.

You are not alone in that many of us truly love our pets. I'm also sure
you aren't alone in feeling that some veterinary prices are a bit on the
high side.

But to be fair to the veterinary clinic, I bet the current economy has affected
them also. I'm willing to bet they pay more for their supplies, insurance, salaries
and almost every thing involved in providing pet owners the best medical care
they can.

Don't forget to figure in their clients that become a write-off, unable or unwilling
to pay the bill.

Most companys have raised their prices to reflect the economy.

Certainly, I expect my dog's veterinarian to provide the absolute best care they
can. Should I really expect them to do this for a cut-rate price?

You say that your husband, Ken, took the dog to the vet. I am sure that Ken
had an opportunity to discuss the cost prior to the act. Failure from the pet owner
to discuss pricing issues is not really doctors fault.

I would also think that Ken did as he did out of love and respect towards you, and
towards the love your family had for Mr. Yackers.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.

Spook

Idle curiousity, what would you feel to be a fair and reasonable price from a vet to put
down a dog of that size?

My goal in life, and I'm working on it, is to provide AFFORDABLE pet healthcare, I hope to open my own practice or co-practice with someone who has the same goal. It isn't right how much the average vet charges for healthcare and I want to be the difference, my husband actually re-enllsited in the military so I could finish up school, only 5-6 more years to go!!!
On that note I'm sorry about Mr. yackers
hugs.gif
I always cried with the owner when we put pets to sleep, it's a hard thing to do.

Our regular vet was half that price when we took Bella in. And this particular vet is always open on Saturdays, it is not a special clinic or anything. Knowing he was being taken to never come home, rude people at Costco, idiots in the parking lot. Well the cost just sent me over the edge.

I feel your pain as we had to have our dog Merlin put down in December...9yrs old with Cushings Disease...and it cost us about $150 which included a group cremation fee and burial in their pet cemmetary as we have a very small yard and could not bury him at home. I think there is a great range in prices that vets charge....I am VERY picky from having worked for an awesome vet several years ago....so I have always paid a little more as I am concerned about the vet and their bedside manner...when we put Merlin down, my vet went and got him a blanket to lay on, and sat on the floor, talked to him/us the whole time, gave me a hug and left the room, saying take all the time you need (it is a small vet clinic with only 2 exam rooms on a busy Saturday morning! Then the vet clinic sent us a sympathy card about a week later....signed by all the vets and all the vet techs.

As I said, I paid $150 at my regular vet's office....and having worked for a vet, I know it is pretty standard policy for vets to charge additional fees for patients/clients who are not regular patients/clients....my loss both personal and financial were in December, with 4 small children at home and Christmas in a few weeks!

Losing a pet under the best of circumstances is never easy...Please know that I feel your pain and that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Back
Top Bottom