I am having a really hard time raising chickens...

Debbie09011970

Songster
6 Years
Oct 29, 2017
Little Rock, Arkansas
Possible chicken scenario that may or may not be mine: I have raised chickens off and on for years. I started with them as babies from my 80 year old neighbor Lazy J's Poultry in Alexander, AR (He's the best if you live close!) . As long as no predators got them, I did fine with them. Once those were gone, I bought some commercial grown chickens from a commercial hatchery. They were red and most likely Bovan Brown/Hyline Brown's. I did ok with those and had eggs all the time to donate until predators wiped them out. They were cheap--around $6 each. I waited a little to do chickens again and apparently it caused me some bad luck :) This time around, I purchased grown ones at the Beebe Livestock Auction, Craigslist, Facebook, or wherever. I had over 100 chickens from different places, got Mycoplasma, and had to cull them all. After our quarantine was up (and maybe longer), I went back to the internet and got something like100-130 chickens from the same place. I was getting so few eggs from those 100 chickens that I decided maybe I was lied to about their age so I sell them cheaply: $5 each and then give the roosters away. Then, I lost so much money in chickens that I got commercial red hens again at $5 each to save money. Hyline Brown. They NEVER lay eggs. Can I say they are sick? Not necessarily. They laid around a bunch but I thought it was the heat but they never laid any eggs. N-E-V-E-R. I let my Hispanic neighbor know what's going on and she wants them to eat them so I give away $120 in hens to her to eat. Then, I find out the guy that I bought them from knew that those commercial birds/battered hens had Mycoplasma and was selling them. The state ends up shutting him down. Even though I never took a bird to be tested, I was not taking any chances so I give away all my baby birds to the Hispanic neighbor to eat. I wait another quarantine just in case my birds got any diseases) to get anything else.

Then, once I am sure we don't have any diseases and there are no birds here for months, I get more birds. I order both babies from Ideal Poultry when they had a sale. That was $150. Then, I purchase about 50-70 grown hens at at an Amish Hatchery in Missouri for $7-10 each. The rarer ones were $15 each. Now, I am getting no eggs. As in zero. Not really zero but 0-2 per day out of over 50 hens but most days it is zero. That has been going on for months now. The free range ones are not laying. The ones locked up 24/7 are not laying. It might be because they to a new place which is stressful, they came in the heat which is stressful, they are molting, and then winter is coming. If they didn't lay this summer do the heat, now molting, and won't lay in the winter due to the cold; that puts me at almost 6 months with no eggs yet their food intake isn't declining--it will just go up this winter when the bugs go away. I'm exhausted with trying to raise hens. I'm wondering, if I sale these and switch to babies, will I get eggs through the winter or summer when it's at extreme temperatures. I know that I have to raise them to 6 months but does buying babies every year and selling the older ones work out for any of you cause these birds are costing me tons of money with no eggs and I'm getting tired of it.

I know that I have to raise them to 6 months but does buying babies every year and selling the older ones work out for any of you cause these birds are costing me tons of money with no eggs and I'm getting tired of it.
What is your goal.....with that many birds, I would guess you want to sell eggs for a profit?

How are you housing 100-150 birds?

What all and how exactly are you feeding them?
If you expect great production from free ranging to save on feed costs,
I'm not surprised you are disappointed.

Then, once I am sure we don't have any diseases and there are no birds here for months, I get more birds. I order both babies from Ideal Poultry when they had a sale. That was $150. Then, I purchase about 50-70 grown hens at at an Amish Hatchery in Missouri for $7-10 each.

Now, I am getting no eggs. As in zero. Not really zero but 0-2 per day out of over 50 hens but most days it is zero.
Are the babies from Ideal Poultry laying yet? Or are they still growing up?

I'm exhausted with trying to raise hens. I'm wondering, if I sale these and switch to babies, will I get eggs through the winter or summer when it's at extreme temperatures. I know that I have to raise them to 6 months but does buying babies every year and selling the older ones work out for any of you cause these birds are costing me tons of money with no eggs and I'm getting tired of it.
It looks to me like most of your problems (except predators) have come from buying adult hens from one source or another.

So yes, I would try buying chicks from a hatchery (like Ideal Poultry), raising them yourself, and see if they do better. At least you will know for sure how old they are, and newly-hatched chicks are less likely to bring in new diseases (as compared with adult hens, who obviously did bring disease with them on at least one occasion.)

I don't know if it is worth testing the current adult hens to see if they have any diseases, or not. If they did have something, they might have passed it on to your current batch of new chicks.

Then, I purchase about 50-70 grown hens at at an Amish Hatchery in Missouri for $7-10 each. The rarer ones were $15 each. Now, I am getting no eggs.

Honestly, as a person currently selling off mature hens, I'm not giving up my best layers -- my youngest, most productive birds.

I'm selling off my 2yos who are going into molt and just a few of the younger girls who don't fit into my breeding program.

Prices do vary from region to region, but $7-10 is BARGAIN pricing for adult birds. When you buy cull birds at bargain prices you can't really expect top production. 🤷‍♀️ If you want eggs now you need to buy Point of Lay Pullets and expect to pay $15-25 per bird (at least in my area).

The stress of moving probably put them off laying, shortening days are probably sending them into molt, they *should* resume laying when days start getting longer instead of shorter.

Possible chicken scenario that may or may not be mine: I have raised chickens off and on for years. I started with them as babies from my 80 year old neighbor Lazy J's Poultry in Alexander, AR (He's the best if you live close!) . As long as no predators got them, I did fine with them. Once those were gone, I bought some commercial grown chickens from a commercial hatchery. They were red and most likely Bovan Brown/Hyline Brown's. I did ok with those and had eggs all the time to donate until predators wiped them out. They were cheap--around $6 each. I waited a little to do chickens again and apparently it caused me some bad luck :) This time around, I purchased grown ones at the Beebe Livestock Auction, Craigslist, Facebook, or wherever. I had over 100 chickens from different places, got Mycoplasma, and had to cull them all. After our quarantine was up (and maybe longer), I went back to the internet and got something like100-130 chickens from the same place. I was getting so few eggs from those 100 chickens that I decided maybe I was lied to about their age so I sell them cheaply: $5 each and then give the roosters away. Then, I lost so much money in chickens that I got commercial red hens again at $5 each to save money. Hyline Brown. They NEVER lay eggs. Can I say they are sick? Not necessarily. They laid around a bunch but I thought it was the heat but they never laid any eggs. N-E-V-E-R. I let my Hispanic neighbor know what's going on and she wants them to eat them so I give away $120 in hens to her to eat. Then, I find out the guy that I bought them from knew that those commercial birds/battered hens had Mycoplasma and was selling them. The state ends up shutting him down. Even though I never took a bird to be tested, I was not taking any chances so I give away all my baby birds to the Hispanic neighbor to eat. I wait another quarantine just in case my birds got any diseases) to get anything else.

Then, once I am sure we don't have any diseases and there are no birds here for months, I get more birds. I order both babies from Ideal Poultry when they had a sale. That was $150. Then, I purchase about 50-70 grown hens at at an Amish Hatchery in Missouri for $7-10 each. The rarer ones were $15 each. Now, I am getting no eggs. As in zero. Not really zero but 0-2 per day out of over 50 hens but most days it is zero. That has been going on for months now. The free range ones are not laying. The ones locked up 24/7 are not laying. It might be because they to a new place which is stressful, they came in the heat which is stressful, they are molting, and then winter is coming. If they didn't lay this summer do the heat, now molting, and won't lay in the winter due to the cold; that puts me at almost 6 months with no eggs yet their food intake isn't declining--it will just go up this winter when the bugs go away. I'm exhausted with trying to raise hens. I'm wondering, if I sale these and switch to babies, will I get eggs through the winter or summer when it's at extreme temperatures. I know that I have to raise them to 6 months but does buying babies every year and selling the older ones work out for any of you cause these birds are costing me tons of money with no eggs and I'm getting tired of it.
I am sorry you have had such a bad experience. That must make you exhausted of it all. If you have it in your heart to continue I would say maybe just try enjoying them for their personalities until you see if they lay in the spring because what you say does make sense. Maybe post some pix of your set-up. I do find my favorite part of having chickens is just observing how different they each are and discovering their personalities and bonding with them. Maybe if you look at it that way til Spring. Then, if it doesn't work out, maybe start next time with like 6-8 hens instead of like 100 etc... Just some suggestions to hopefully put the love of chicken-owning back into you. I guess you have to figure out which part of chicken raising you are doing it for? The eggs or the chickens themselves and then you will know whether it is worth it or just go to the farm market to get eggs.

My older girls aren't laying much right now either, some are molting, some are just taking a break apparently. I'm only getting 0-1 egg a day from them. My pullets are laying about an egg a day each right now.
I find the best way to get a continuous supply of eggs is to have different age groups going at all times, raising up new pullets each spring, and if you are looking solely for egg production, culling the oldest girls out each fall.
I do wonder why so many chickens at once? The more you have the harder they are to keep an handle on and of course the more they cost to feed as well. I'm not surprised you are exhausted. 20 - 30 pullets should give you more than enough eggs to eat, sell and incubate.

But they're not laying anything. That's the problem. I have had some of them 3 months with zero eggs. I didn't expect top notch production at first but I am getting ZERO eggs from 99.9 of them. I am lucky this week if I get 1 egg a day. I get that under $10 for young birds is a good price and I can't expect the best but I expected something--anything.

Yes, and that's a quite likely scenario for the situation.

The stress of moving often puts the hen off laying and sends them into molt. It's as likely as not for them to not resume laying until the days start getting longer rather than shorter.

You could try adding artificial light to see if you can restart them. It's said to be best to add the light in the morning rather than the evening so that they can go to roost with the natural sunset. :)

I tried everything to get these girls to lay eggs. Locked them up for days with high dollar food. Set them free to get bugs. Cat food, tuna, sardines, cayenne pepper. Nothing. Still no eggs. It's been 4 months and we decided that we could not feed them all winter just to get eggs in the Spring. We very sadly either cheaply sold or donated most of these birds this weekend/Monday.

I ordered some pullets back in July from Ideal Poultry and, three weeks or so ago, I ordered more so we are starting from scratch swearing to ourselves that we will never buy another adult bird again--EVER. Thank you for trying to help.

I sold cheaply/donated most of these birds weeks ago. I have around 20ish of my favorites: Black Copper Marans and Heritage RIR. I have not received one egg out of them that I know of. Not in 4 months. I started to use a light, used it for two nights, and then changed my mind. They are heritage birds. I would assume (once the heat ended, then supposedly they molted even though very few appeared to be molting, now it's winter) that I would get a few eggs once the molting season ended. Still nothing. Should I put a light on them even though I know they need a break or should I wait until Spring or should I give up and just sell them cheaply/donate them and assume they were worn out and will never lay again. These hens were more: $15 each. They are heritage birds and I assumed I would get at least a few eggs in this pretty Arkansas weather once molting ended. It's been 70 degrees but nothing.

It's the hours of daylight that matter more than the temperature.

Egg production should ramp up as hours of daylight increase after the solstice, though some might resume laying when they're done with their molts.

Back
Top Bottom