I am having a really hard time raising chickens...

Debbie09011970

Songster
6 Years
Oct 29, 2017
Little Rock, Arkansas
Possible chicken scenario that may or may not be mine: I have raised chickens off and on for years. I started with them as babies from my 80 year old neighbor Lazy J's Poultry in Alexander, AR (He's the best if you live close!) . As long as no predators got them, I did fine with them. Once those were gone, I bought some commercial grown chickens from a commercial hatchery. They were red and most likely Bovan Brown/Hyline Brown's. I did ok with those and had eggs all the time to donate until predators wiped them out. They were cheap--around $6 each. I waited a little to do chickens again and apparently it caused me some bad luck :) This time around, I purchased grown ones at the Beebe Livestock Auction, Craigslist, Facebook, or wherever. I had over 100 chickens from different places, got Mycoplasma, and had to cull them all. After our quarantine was up (and maybe longer), I went back to the internet and got something like100-130 chickens from the same place. I was getting so few eggs from those 100 chickens that I decided maybe I was lied to about their age so I sell them cheaply: $5 each and then give the roosters away. Then, I lost so much money in chickens that I got commercial red hens again at $5 each to save money. Hyline Brown. They NEVER lay eggs. Can I say they are sick? Not necessarily. They laid around a bunch but I thought it was the heat but they never laid any eggs. N-E-V-E-R. I let my Hispanic neighbor know what's going on and she wants them to eat them so I give away $120 in hens to her to eat. Then, I find out the guy that I bought them from knew that those commercial birds/battered hens had Mycoplasma and was selling them. The state ends up shutting him down. Even though I never took a bird to be tested, I was not taking any chances so I give away all my baby birds to the Hispanic neighbor to eat. I wait another quarantine just in case my birds got any diseases) to get anything else.

Then, once I am sure we don't have any diseases and there are no birds here for months, I get more birds. I order both babies from Ideal Poultry when they had a sale. That was $150. Then, I purchase about 50-70 grown hens at at an Amish Hatchery in Missouri for $7-10 each. The rarer ones were $15 each. Now, I am getting no eggs. As in zero. Not really zero but 0-2 per day out of over 50 hens but most days it is zero. That has been going on for months now. The free range ones are not laying. The ones locked up 24/7 are not laying. It might be because they to a new place which is stressful, they came in the heat which is stressful, they are molting, and then winter is coming. If they didn't lay this summer do the heat, now molting, and won't lay in the winter due to the cold; that puts me at almost 6 months with no eggs yet their food intake isn't declining--it will just go up this winter when the bugs go away. I'm exhausted with trying to raise hens. I'm wondering, if I sale these and switch to babies, will I get eggs through the winter or summer when it's at extreme temperatures. I know that I have to raise them to 6 months but does buying babies every year and selling the older ones work out for any of you cause these birds are costing me tons of money with no eggs and I'm getting tired of it.

I have in the past but I do better online buying them. TSC is bad about having them sexed wrong or the breeds wrong, etc.. If I get them online, they are always healthy and sexed correctly.

I have had great luck with ISA Browns. They are sex linked so you are 100% positive in getting a pullet. I live in northern Minnesota, but my chicks which come from Wisconsin are sold in our local Co-Op store and have always been healthy. The ISA Brown has been my best brown egg layer. Anyways, hope you find out why your hens are not laying eggs. It just costs too much money to have pet chickens that don't lay eggs, especially at the number you own. Best wishes.

I know that I have to raise them to 6 months but does buying babies every year and selling the older ones work out for any of you cause these birds are costing me tons of money with no eggs and I'm getting tired of it.
What is your goal.....with that many birds, I would guess you want to sell eggs for a profit?

How are you housing 100-150 birds?

What all and how exactly are you feeding them?
If you expect great production from free ranging to save on feed costs,
I'm not surprised you are disappointed.

Then, once I am sure we don't have any diseases and there are no birds here for months, I get more birds. I order both babies from Ideal Poultry when they had a sale. That was $150. Then, I purchase about 50-70 grown hens at at an Amish Hatchery in Missouri for $7-10 each.

Now, I am getting no eggs. As in zero. Not really zero but 0-2 per day out of over 50 hens but most days it is zero.
Are the babies from Ideal Poultry laying yet? Or are they still growing up?

I'm exhausted with trying to raise hens. I'm wondering, if I sale these and switch to babies, will I get eggs through the winter or summer when it's at extreme temperatures. I know that I have to raise them to 6 months but does buying babies every year and selling the older ones work out for any of you cause these birds are costing me tons of money with no eggs and I'm getting tired of it.
It looks to me like most of your problems (except predators) have come from buying adult hens from one source or another.

So yes, I would try buying chicks from a hatchery (like Ideal Poultry), raising them yourself, and see if they do better. At least you will know for sure how old they are, and newly-hatched chicks are less likely to bring in new diseases (as compared with adult hens, who obviously did bring disease with them on at least one occasion.)

I don't know if it is worth testing the current adult hens to see if they have any diseases, or not. If they did have something, they might have passed it on to your current batch of new chicks.

Then, I purchase about 50-70 grown hens at at an Amish Hatchery in Missouri for $7-10 each. The rarer ones were $15 each. Now, I am getting no eggs.

Honestly, as a person currently selling off mature hens, I'm not giving up my best layers -- my youngest, most productive birds.

I'm selling off my 2yos who are going into molt and just a few of the younger girls who don't fit into my breeding program.

Prices do vary from region to region, but $7-10 is BARGAIN pricing for adult birds. When you buy cull birds at bargain prices you can't really expect top production. 🤷‍♀️ If you want eggs now you need to buy Point of Lay Pullets and expect to pay $15-25 per bird (at least in my area).

The stress of moving probably put them off laying, shortening days are probably sending them into molt, they *should* resume laying when days start getting longer instead of shorter.

Honestly, as a person currently selling off mature hens, I'm not giving up my best layers -- my youngest, most productive birds.

I'm selling off my 2yos who are going into molt and just a few of the younger girls who don't fit into my breeding program.

Prices do vary from region to region, but $7-10 is BARGAIN pricing for adult birds. When you buy cull birds at bargain prices you can't really expect top production. 🤷‍♀️ If you want eggs now you need to buy Point of Lay Pullets and expect to pay $15-25 per bird (at least in my area).

The stress of moving probably put them off laying, shortening days are probably sending them into molt, they *should* resume laying when days start getting longer instead of shorter.
But they're not laying anything. That's the problem. I have had some of them 3 months with zero eggs. I didn't expect top notch production at first but I am getting ZERO eggs from 99.9 of them. I am lucky this week if I get 1 egg a day. I get that under $10 for young birds is a good price and I can't expect the best but I expected something--anything.

What is your goal.....with that many birds, I would guess you want to sell eggs for a profit?

How are you housing 100-150 birds?

What all and how exactly are you feeding them?
If you expect great production from free ranging to save on feed costs,
I'm not surprised you are disappointed.
I have several places to house them...one is 600 square feet. One is over 1000 square feet (my old horse barn). I have a few other spots also. That's not the problem though and what I house them in is irrevelent here. The problem is no eggs. ZERO eggs. If they free range, I get zero eggs. If they are locked up, I get zero eggs--even if I lock them for days and feed them good feed. I have been feeding laying pellets and laying crumbles.

I have several places to house them...one is 600 square feet. One is over 1000 square feet (my old horse barn). I have a few other spots also. That's not the problem though and what I house them in is irrevelent here. The problem is no eggs. ZERO eggs. If they free range, I get zero eggs. If they are locked up, I get zero eggs--even if I lock them for days and feed them good feed. I have been feeding laying pellets and laying crumbles.
and I give the eggs away. I have every time in the past. This time around, I will sell them. My goal was to lock up the hens, hatch the babies, and let the babies pay the cost of the feed.

Back
Top Bottom