I am having trouble identifying 2 of my ducks. Please help me out.

Ct.Wild_Born

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2018
I work for Tractor supply and recently brought home a Rouen duckling and a silver runner duckling. Two weeks later I caved and brought home 2 more ducklings. The problem is I am having trouble indentifying the younger 2. The 2 younger ducklings are in my profile picture. They are 1 month old and havent developed all of their feathers yet. Does anybody know what they are? I am thinking one is a swedish and the other possibly an orpington? They very well could be mixes. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I work for Tractor supply and recently brought home a Rouen duckling and a silver runner duckling. Two weeks later I caved and brought home 2 more ducklings. The problem is I am having trouble indentifying the younger 2. The 2 younger ducklings are in my profile picture. They are 1 month old and havent developed all of their feathers yet. Does anybody know what they are? I am thinking one is a swedish and the other possibly an orpington? They very well could be mixes. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
You are correct in your thinking.

Awesome, thanks for the reply! With these breeds is there a way to know if they are male or female? Other than the quack and curly feather which are not developed yet. Like drakes having darker heads?

You can also try and see their gender by venting but I recommend seeing someone else do it before attempting

I tried venting my rouen and runner but i wasnt able to tell. I was being a little too gentle and careful so I didnt get a good look. I decided I wouldnt try anymore and would just wait until they feathered out and could tell by looks or sound. My rouen obviously has female feathers but I am not sure about my runner and then the 2 younger ones.

Voice sexing is one of the most reliable methods. Females wil have a loud QUACK and males will just rasp. You can most definitely tell by around 6-7 weeks, but sometimes even earlier. :)

Back
Top Bottom