I am new to ducks and have some questions

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
When can ducks come out from under the brooder light? When are they old enough that I can give them a bowl of water to swim in? Sorry for the dumb questions I just want to make sure I don't accidentally hurt anyone. I am really familiar with chickens but, I feel like I am flying blind with these little duckies.

Are ducks a lot then bantam chickens. I feel like my little duckies are on steroids. They are huge!!!!!!!!!!! They are growing like crazy. They are growing so much faster then my baby chicks.

Thanks,
Michelle

Hi!

Just a quick note . . . I watched the temperature in the brooder. Started at 90 F the first week, dropping 5 degrees a week for about 12 weeks (it was really cold that spring).

They can swim in water up to their bellies from a few days old, but they need constant supervision, warm (85 to 90 degree) water, and a warm clean dry brooder to return to, and help drying off if they do not immediately begin preening themselves.

(in the middle of a duckling crisis, or would be more chatty . . . hope to return later today . . .

and they grow FAST!

Ducks do grow much faster and are a little less delicate. I took my Ducks out to play much sooner than I did Chicks .. Letting them swim in kiddie pools .. Depending on the tempature out side once they start growing and feathering nicely they seem to do very well with less heat than a baby Chick.. Speaking of I am off today hoping to come home with a new pair ~

When can ducks come out from under the brooder light?
When are they old enough that I can give them a bowl of water to swim in?

Are ducks a lot then bantam chickens. I feel like my little duckies are on steroids. They are huge!!!!!!!!!!! They are growing like crazy. They are growing so much faster then my baby chicks.

Hi Michelle
I admit to having limited experience, but, just as those ducklings grow fast, my knowledge is growing equally fast.

I have a one week old duckling who is in her broody cage all day and night .... except ... when I take her outside for a walk. We exercise together for 30 minutes, then she is returned to her cage. If she had her way, she would be with me 24/7
roll.png

Swimming they can do from day one when they have a mother duck on hand. The perils to be aware of when introducing a duckling to water for swimming are these: they only have down which will soak up water like a sponge. In turn, this adds to their weight and could result in them getting tired and drowing in deep water. However, there is no reason why you cannot put them in some warm water to "play" for 5-10 minutes at a time if you give constant supervision. Ducklings do not have the necessary oil glands to repel water naturally, so will need to be put back under the heat lamp to dry off.

You can "wean" them off the brooder light at night time when they are around 4/5 weeks old. You turn the light off for one hour one night; two hours the 2nd night and so on until they no longer have light during darkness. This is the least stressful way of doing things for them.

I have 2 Indian Runner ducklings which rapidly outgrew their brooder cage. Once Pogo was added to the cage a week ago, 36hrs later the IR's needed to be rehoused - so, off to boarding school they went (aka, into an outside house and enclosed run situated next to my adult trio so they can "watch and learn" how to be ducks). They are thriving!! We've had heavy rain the past week and the result is my heavy clay land is a patchwork of deep puddles
roll.png
Heaven for my trio, but the IR ducklings only take a brief dip and swim before they run home again to dry off.

And yes, they grow exceptionally fast and disproportionately to chicks!

Enjoy your babies while you can
thumbsup.gif

Just went through the same thing. I gave mine a pie pan in their brooder box on day 4. I only left them in it for about 15 minutes the first day.

And he recorded and posted his experiences! You may like to follow OldGuy43's experiences .... it was an education for me!

I think it's very interesting that ducklings put their growing energy into their bodies, then feather out later. Just the reverse of chicks, which grow feathers fast and then start to get bigger.

I have a plastic foot bath tray I use in the shower/bath enclosure, filled three inches deep with warm water for the ducklings, about 15 minutes a day once they have reached about a week of age. Constant supervision. (The foot bath is filled, set inside the empty bath tub, just to make that clear.)

Then comes the time I put cooler water in the TUB and toss in some rosy minnows bought at WalMart for a rousing good time to be had by all. Well, except for the fish...

Last edited:
I think it's very interesting that ducklings put their growing energy into their bodies, then feather out later. Just the reverse of chicks, which grow feathers fast and then start to get bigger.
I have a plastic foot bath tray I use in the shower/bath enclosure, filled three inches deep with warm water for the ducklings, about 15 minutes a day once they have reached about a week of age. Constant supervision. (The foot bath is filled, set inside the empty bath tub, just to make that clear.)
Then comes the time I put cooler water in the TUB and toss in some rosy minnows bought at WalMart for a rousing good time to be had by all. Well, except for the fish...

yuckyuck.gif

I'm new to ducks too and mine are now five weeks old. At four weeks they were already starting to pant in with the chicks so I moved them to their own coop without a heat lamp and they do great. Started them off with a smaller bowl (size one duck can fit in) and they now have a large kiddy pool and all four swim in it and are loving it. I put them outside when it was 30 degrees (it was very sunny and warmed up to 55 throughout the day) and they were fine. They sat in the sun until it warmed up and then they tried out the pool I put them back in their coop without their food/water (to help save on messes) and put them back outside at 7am. We put them to bed about 8:30pm. You should post some pictures of your babies :D BTW: I was amazed at how fast they grew too!

ETA: I forgot to mention I was amazed at how little feed they eat now that they have LOTS of grass and bugs to eat. They are GREAT foragers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom