I am new to peacocks could someone outline the importance of raising peacocks

Gmb123

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 8, 2015
i am new to peacocks and I was wondering would are some of the sights peacocks are sick (mine are in perfect health) although it is important for me to know some of the symptoms so I can act quickly when I need to.also should I give them quick antibiotic treatment even if they don't need it just to help their immune system fight any bacterial if there are any. And after how long should I give second and third treatment with antibiotics because I read there needs to be a period between each treatment. I would appreciate any other important information.

i am new to peacocks and I was wondering would are some of the sights peacocks are sick (mine are in perfect health) although it is important for me to know some of the symptoms so I can act quickly when I need to.also should I give them quick antibiotic treatment even if they don't need it just to help their immune system fight any bacterial if there are any. And after how long should I give second and third treatment with antibiotics because I read there needs to be a period between each treatment. I would appreciate any other important information.

I believe an antibiotic is used when they are sick and a probiotic is before they get sick. That's why you can't butcher an animal that has been treated with an antibiotic within 30 days after treatment since the animal was sick, the antibiotic can hurt healthy people and some illnesses can be passed through the meat. When peafowl get sick they begin to have droopy wings and won't be panting like a dog. The tail will be dropped, they will look depressed, eyes will tend to be squinted or shut most of the time instead of wide open, awake and clear. They keep their head close to their body. Also you will get diarrhea collected around the Cloaca, butt feathers indicate that they are sick. Diarrhea can be caused by many things. Ticks, lice, fleas, mites will give a bird diarrhea along with other parasites if it gets really bad. You will be able to tell if they are badly sick. If they are hens make sure they can get to a high calcium source incase they need it during lay season to help prevent egg bound. Sulfur, poultry dust, Poultry Protector (Citric Acid), I've heard work well for controlling parasites externally. I've heard sulfur can kill internal parasites as well. Pumpkin seeds can help kill a little bit of internal parasites to give the bird a break once in a while but Safeguard is a good wormer I've used before for 8 month old peafowl. I use 1cc for 5 days, stop treatment for two weeks and then dose 1cc again for 5 days. I worm and spray down my birds and their coops twice a year. The spring when things begin to warm up and parasites become active, and fall when it starts to cool down because parasites will be trying to get into or onto a host to survive the cold. Once they are older than a year I'll give them a lot of pumpkin seeds to give them a break from parasites once in a while. When they get around 2 years old they tend to be strong and more resistant than when they were as chicks. But they can still get them if they get stressed out or you get that bad of an infestation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom