I am not sure what is going on a little help please

CherishHolland

Songster
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
Canyon Texas
I have a 3.5 month old sultan who was just fine last night when she was put in the coop,when I went to let them out this morning everyone came out but her she remained on the roosting bar. I went back out about an hour later to bring them their breakfast and she was still in the coop so I picked her up and it is like she can not hold her head up it is sort of hanging down,I gave her some Nutri-Drench and brought her inside. I checked her over thoroughly,no visible signs of injury,poop is normal,shows little interest in eating and drinking. No raspy breathing,drainage or labored or open beak breathing going on no fever present. I will attach a picture of how she is sitting with her head,it doesn't look like wry neck to me. Her crop is empty, I am just at a loss. Please help this is my daughter's chicken and she is already heartbroken that she isn't doing well

She moves a little with her head down but is really lethargic, I gave her some electrolytes in her water and she has perked up a little,her weight is good no weight loss. It is like she can not hold her head up so she sits there with her head down

I know you said that she has normal poop, but it sounds like cocci. Cocci can be present with or without bloody poop. Do you have any Corid to treat cocci?

If not, you can get it from Tractor Supply. I got mine in 20% powder form. It's in the cattle section. You mix 1/2 teaspoon for a gallon of water. Give it to the whole flock for five days. No vitamin supplements for the duration until after the five days. I would also give probiotics after the five days. I would treat ASAP. Cocci is a quick killer.

Could also be a vitamin deficiency, but from what I've read, if it is cocci the protozoans inhibit the ability to absorb nutrients.

I had a six day old chick that exhibited the same symptoms, she was super lethargic and wouldn't eat or drink. She would sit with her head to the ground. I eye dropped the Corid solution into her mouth for 2-3 days to make sure she was hydrated and fed her a combination of feed, egg yolk, with Corid solution [to make a mash].

She had no bloody poop and it was a little runny and looked somewhat normal from other pictures I've seen. She's been off the Corid for four days now and is doing much better since it all started. I account Corid for saving her life. This was my experience and someone who has more knowledge could maybe chime in.

It also came on suddenly with my chick. Fine and happy the night before, not moving and lethargic the next morning. I didn't have Corid on hand and when I came back from the store, I found her on her back with her legs in the air. Although she still sits under the brooder a lot, she will eat and drink on her own and seems to be more energetic.

Last edited:
Yes I have corrid on hand I guess I will start the whole flock on a cocci treatment even though she is the only one out of the flock exhibiting symptoms of some sort. Honestly I don't think it is cocci but it wouldn't hurt to run treatment.

Back
Top Bottom