I am pretty sure my hen has worms, natural treatment?

I'm sorry guys, gonna have to do it tomorrow. Had to load horses and take them down the street today, and and unexpected day in town so I didn't get to it. I will 99.9% get it done tomorrow. Thanks for keeping me on track!

I just want to say you are doing a great job. Not many old birds can say they have someone care so much. I can understand why you originally wanted to just try a natural method for your old bird. Glad she is doing better, I don't have much advice on why she isn't gaining weight. But a word of advice, make sure to buy two kitchen scales, you don't want to be mixing and matching later which one is for the kitchen and which one is for chickens riddled with worms. ;)

I just want to say you are doing a great job. Not many old birds can say they have someone care so much. I can understand why you originally wanted to just try a natural method for your old bird. Glad she is doing better, I don't have much advice on why she isn't gaining weight. But a word of advice, make sure to buy two kitchen scales, you don't want to be mixing and matching later which one is for the kitchen and which one is for chickens riddled with worms. ;)
Thank you! Yes, good point about the kitchen scales lol! Thanks for your kind words, I injured my foot a few days ago, so its bene hard to get out to the coop. I finally got a boot to walk in, so am able to do chores now. Thanks for all the advice, and support guys! 💕

Okay, I was finally able to weight her today. Still with the human scale, but we can have an idea on weight.
Today after I weight by self, then myself with her, it seemed like it said she weighted 3 pounds. Our scale is really old though, so I really don't know who accurate that is. I know that 3 pounds is really light for a SLW, so I am really hoping it is wrong. The need kinda bounced back between 4 and 3 pounds, so maybe a little heater then 3, maybe closer to 4? I really need an accurate scale, I will work on that.

Other then her weight, her crop had food in when I grabbed her. She went crazy for the table scraps, and loved the rice and buttermilk. Now that I am mobile, when I get the chance, I will actually be abel to bring her in at least once a day to eat. Wether she eats rice and buttermilk, healthy veggie scraps, or chicken feed, I will get her to eat something. Any advice other then watching her and getting her to eat? Thanks guys!

Oh my gosh! I think I just found the reason she isn't doing well!

So I have my duck coop/run and my chicken coop/run right next to each other. They are really the same area, just separated down the middle with a wire panel, with roofing attached to it to keep the two roosters from fighting through the fence. The other day, I looked over one of the hens in the chicken pen, and noticed she had mites. Not a super sever infestation, but good enough. I kept meaning to check the other birds in the duck pen, but then I hurt my foot, blah, blah, blah, didn't get the chance.
Duh! She probably has mites! That is why she isn't eating, has a pale face, inactive. Why didn't' I think of this days ago! I'm going to check her over this afternoon, and pick up some permethrin today. I really hope she starts to perk up after I can treat her. Thanks for the help guys! I'll keep you posted, and any advice for her otherwise is helpful. Thanks!

Okay, so I have everything, Permethrin spray and dust to treat for mites. I will treat everyone, but am wondering about the spray. So if its cold out, I don't want to chill them or cases hypothermia since I have to spray it on the skin. Should I worry about this? Especially since there older hens.

Okay, so I have everything, Permethrin spray and dust to treat for mites. I will treat everyone, but am wondering about the spray. So if its cold out, I don't want to chill them or cases hypothermia since I have to spray it on the skin. Should I worry about this? Especially since there older hens.
What dust did you buy?
Do you see mites on them?

What dust did you buy?
Do you see mites on them?
I have seen mites on the flock that is serrated from them by a fence. I didn't' get a good look at her today, but will get a better look before treating. Her skin did look scabby like the others from the quick check I did of her. I also saw her shaken a lot. First she shook her head, then her whole body. I have a feeling that could be a symptom of mites too?

I bought permethrin dust, not DE or anything like that.

Back
Top Bottom