I am so angry...a rant. *UPDATE @ POST 13*

bobcats are VERY brave and live in your area. canadian lynx as well.

I live in AR, but a coworker recently shot a bobcat. Middle of the afternoon, 20 feet from her front door, 3 large dogs loose in the yard, scaling the fence to get into the kennel full of yorkies

I'll say Bob cats are brave. they sit on my mom's patio staring in at her lasaopso. they look in like its pheasant under glass. she has had as many as 3 at a time. but she is in the middle of a subdivision and the houses are stacked like postage stamps. you wouldn't think them cats would come in that close.

Unfortunately, bobcats are a protected species in NH. We have them around, but up here they are very shy. Very few people are even aware that they are around because they are so reclusive and stealthy. I see them now and again. I track them during the winter to keep an eye on their patterns. Up until this point they have never come close to the house.Most wild animals are very respectful of humans here because we have much hunting/fishing/trapping in this area. The wildlife is wary of interacting with humans at all because if they get too close they end up on the dinner table or hanging on someone's wall. That's part of the reason I am so confused about this predator- It seems to have no fear. It is attacking during the day and while there are people and dogs present.

The game cam is set up and we will see what comes around tonight.

here, all the flooding and bad weather has made food a bit scarcer than usual. So the wildlife is getting a bit braver. I don't know if bobcats here are protected or not. The one is question is now a rug...

Well, nothing triggered the game cam last night, but since my problem seems to come out only during the day I shall catch it (on film anyway) today I am sure. One of the missing ducks was waiting outside the newly reconstructed fence this morning. I was happy to see her. The other duck won't be back. She got snatched.

Such a bummer. I have lost more birds in the past month than I have lost in the past 4 years.
somad.gif

I spent some time on the phone this morning with NH Fish and Game. I can't legally use a Conibear trap without risking incurring some hefty fines if I catch a non-target animal. I was also informed that there is a big study going on right now regarding the prevalence of bobcats in this area, so there are several animals that are carrying sensors on their bodies for tracking purposes.

The recommendation was to use a Have-A-Heart trap to catch whatever has been plaguing my birds. Once the culprit is caught, F&G recommended that I relocate and release the animal 10 miles from my home. I will say that again because I am still just floored by this- relocate and release 10 miles from my home. I was sputtering on the phone, "What?!? Isn't relocation illegal in most areas for very good reasons? Why would I dump my problem animal on someone else's doorstep?" The warden was very clear that relocation is their choice method of removing problem animals. The warden stated that the animal needs to be relocated to a wooded area and not a residential neighborhood. I wanted to say, "Hey sweetheart, I live in a wooded area where people dump their unwanted animals. I get to see firsthand what happens to these displaced creatures. What the heck kind of policy is that? Allow me to tell you, it is a terrible one." I didn't actually say any of this to the warden, but I really wanted to.

It becomes clear to me that I am going to get no help from F&G. The only kind of intervention they are going to offer is a fine if I catch a stupid bobcat, which is entirely possible. I did get a list of certified trappers in the area, so I need to decide if I am going to risk getting into trouble for trying to trap the problem myself or spend money that I don't wish to spend having someone come out to do it for me. I wonder if the trappers are just going to release any animal they catch into another person's backyard.

So frustrating.

WOW!!! Not a good year for your livestock & I know its hard on you as well . I love to hunt & can kill & clean animals for table fare no problem. But when it comes to something I've raised I'm very sensitive & caring. I know what I'd do if I were in your shoes. The three letters th
63768_finished_coop_001.jpg
ing. I built a blind on top of my coop.

It just so happens that I have a balcony overlooking my duck yard, 7L Farm. If it ever stops raining my husband will be spending the day out there. He's a crack shot, whereas I am pathetic. I'm going to start making more time to go to the shooting range in light of my current problems, though.

Quote:
Now your talking. You gotta protect your livestock nobody else is. One thing I'm not is a tree hugger. I love & respect nature but my livestock comes first. Hopefully, the problem will be resolved & things will get better for you. I've never gone through what your going through but I'd be devastated I'm sure.

here is a little info on how not to catch lynx there is some fairly good info on bobcats too

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/endangered/mammals/lynx/lynx-take-bro.pdf

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/Hunting_PDFs/Lynx_Wolf_Trapper_handout_NHFG.pdf

depending on what your target species is would determine on what type of trap to use and how to set it I would build a coni box it will cut down on your catch of incidentals if you target a species it is fairly easy to catch just the animal you are targeting

Back
Top Bottom