I am so lucky

silkiechick05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
North Texas
Last night, when I went out to see my new girl, she wasn't acting right. She had a dribble of urine going down her butt. At first I thought, "man that must have been a really disgusting poo." When I looked, however, there was no poop in her cage, just a glob of urine. Now, I am pretty new to chickens, so don't judge what I do. LOL. So I brought her inside, and looked at her vent and could see her pushing. ... I thought maybe she had a blockage?? or a crop issue?? She wasn't interested in eating, so we took her food away that night to see if her crop would be empty in the morning. It was. So, that ruled out any sour or impacted cropness. What now?? I had been up with her until twelve that night looking at what it could be to no avail. I posted a thread about her and many people mentioned "egg boundness." I tried to feel for an egg, but, being the newbie i am, I couldn't tell what was what. So that didn't help. I checked on her again at 3:35 and she was sleeping with he butt straight up in the air. hmmmmm... I decided I would take her to the vet in the morning. So I awoke to my parents screaming about crops and egg boundness and thought she hadn't made it through the night. Slowly I went downstairs, afraid of what I would hear. "Oh she's okay, go look at her." I went out there and she looked a 1000 times better. Still no Poo. Since her crop was empty, we made her a yummy mash that she thought was satisfactory. After eating a lot of it, I put her back in her cage and went to bed. At 11 I woke up, went down to check on her, and................. THERE WAS AN EGG! And there was a small poo in the corner, but that's not the point. She had been egg bound! Then I realize that I was such a bad chicken mother because I didn't soak her or probe her with my finger up in the dark area of her bowls. If it had burst, my baby would be dead. If it went on much longer, she would be dead. I have learned an important lesson. She is my favorite chicken, and hopefully she starts pooing and acting normal.

BTW: It was her first egg! Man, there was blood all over it!

ETA: I was in a hurry when I wrote this, so it's not very good quality.

LOL

Last edited:
Oh good!
smile.png

I saw your post last night - I was hoping you would get good info from experienced people! I'm SO glad to hear she is better. I think I would keep an eye on her, still, just in case.

Hoping you are completely out of the woods on this one!!

Quote:
Yes i will. She isn't pooping normally yet, perhaps because she's tired of straining??

But I will be here all day to watch her

She basking under her heat lamp

big_smile.png

Well, she is doing fine now.

I made her a new ration of mash and she is eating it.

Also cut up some grapes for her

Thanks to all who helped!

Back
Top Bottom