jennh

Songster
12 Years
Jun 21, 2007
Lititz
My heart is just pounding, and I'm furious
rant.gif
somad.gif

I have a baby monitor outside so I can hear my wildbirds and my "girls". Well, I heard them all out there carrying on, so I went out to see what was going on. I thought it must be a hawk. Then I hear rustling in the back of my yard, like something chasing. I heard one of my chickens squawking, and it sounded like something was chasing her. By the time I got there, I found the neighbor's D*mn dog dragging her! I yelled at the dog and he let her go. I had a hard time catching her to put her in the coop, she was so traumatized. There were feathers EVERYWHERE.
rant.gif
somad.gif
I think she's going to be OK. I didn't see or feel anything. I think (KNOW) if I would not have gotten there when I did, he would have killed her. I really thought she was dead, but I think she was just scared out of her wits.
I heard my neighbor out there calling for him, and I told her what had happened. She said to let her know if anything's wrong. What good is that gonna do? Sweet Annie is my sweet Americauna, and she can't be replaced. And she had just laid an egg! She said she just let "Arthur" in the backyard to "pee". I told her (if there IS ) a next time, to PUT HIM ON A LEASH!!!!!!!!!!!!
he.gif
If she wasn't such a nice neighbor, I'd report her
rant.gif
somad.gif
barnie.gif

Jen

Last edited:
oh i am sorry for your sweet hen. glad youve got her safe now. if the dog knows of the chickens, he will be back. be watchful. glad you communicated with your neighbor.

Sorry for your trama, at least your neighbor wasn't one of them that denied everything like some are,sounds like ya got a good one there. she sounds like she cares about your feelings
smile.png

Keep your girl in a quite place for a few days, a pen in your pen would be good, i bet she will be just fine.

What a blessing you were there to intervene for your girl
What bothers me in these cases is that folks (generally) seem unable to connect that we love our chickens every bit as much as they love thier dogs.
It is no different for us.
I have a good chat with my chickens in the morning.and another with my old dog later in the day
smile.png

Good luck with your girl
smile.png

Aloha,

I Know the felling of almost loosing/loosing you favorite chook(s).

Story (short: sad out come)

I had neighbors that had hunting dogs. Oh so often I would see them loose and the neighbors "so happen" to be chasing them to catch them. I was out at school and I came home to a horrible scene all my chooks were eliminated. There were bodies and evidence (dog prints) in the cage and where they broke into. I was fuming! I couldn't even find one body, my little banty roo. I had to do each burial and it was not a fun one. I tried to confront the neighbors and they would avoid me. But the jerk moved 2 months later.

I am glad that you got to talk to your neighbor and she is a nice neighbor. She did care to make sure that everything is okay and if the chook does pass you can tell her the situation. I say keep her updated on the hen just incase something happens to "Sweet Annie" that way she understands the harm her dog has caused. It is always good to have good communications.

As for "Sweet Annie" did you over look her for any puncture wounds? (take pictures) If there feathers are just pulled than I believe she will make a full recovery. She just needs a little TLC from you and she will get back on track in no time.

Please keep us posted on her progress.
D.gif

Quote:
Hey now there's a good idea. Those things aren't very pricey, and give a lot more legroom than a plain ol' leash... for times when Mom can't be out to keep an eye...

Come to think of it... maybe I should give one to OUR neighbors... cept they have NO trees... can you hook it to anything else? I'ma look. Thanks for this suggestion Dandelion.

So sorry about your girl Jenn. Hopefully your neighbor will keep a better eye, and here's hoping for a full recovery!

Have you got a gun if so next time shoot it, that'll teach her. Here in England farmers are allowd to shoot dog that are terrorising lifestock, dont know whether its the same for you.

I'm really glad shes ok, shes very lucky to have you
hugs.gif

glad the hen is ok..and your neighbor is concerned....next time, don't let it happen again though..she has been warned once now.

Back
Top Bottom