I am so PI**ED OFF

Go be with your girl, calm her, say soothing things so she does not succumb to shock - shock is her biggest enemy right now. Spend an hour or two calming her, comforting her - however long it takes till you feel she is stable. Give some electrolytes to help with shock (e.g. in apinch you can spritz Pedialtye onto watermelon or some other yummy). Have someone else get the stuff if you don't have it because she needs monitoring and comforting right now. And anything and everything that could cheer her up - favorite treats, whatever. Once she is assuredly calm, check her very carefully. This is a challenge with feathers - wounds can hide. Especially internal injuries. Also, if you have or can have someone get Rescue Remedy (Bach flower remedy) - put a drop or two in her wtaer - it may have a calming effect (there is no downside to this).

The dog - unless possessed by angels sometime between now and the next time it's out loose - WILL BE BACK the first chance he gets. Your birds are not safe.

JJ

Quote:
Perhaps a better idea may be to continue to foster a good neighbor policy. She seemed concerned about your "Annie." This may be an opportunity to decrease the chance of it happening again. I don't know the details of the circumstances, but if there are no fences and it's possible the dog may come over again unchaperoned (by accident of course), you and your neighbor may want to consider training her dog to ignore (perhaps, even protect) the chickens. That way, if it does get out, you have preventive, instead of reactionary measures. I have dogs and chickens which peacefully coexist. My neighbor recently adopted older dog. And, although we're a fenced community, we are working to get their new dog introduced to my crew, just in case something bad happens (fence falls down, girls make it over the fence, etc.)

Seriously, guns have their use, but, certainly not in this case. Why are guns chosen as the end-all-be-all solution? And, seriously, "that'll teach her." Seriously? I believe a gun used in this capacity makes for a poor educational tool. Use a gun to protect your livestock and family, but not to shoot your neighbor's dog to teach her a lesson. There is just sooooo much violence in this world, today. Whatever happened to simple dialogue?

UPDATE:
I went up to the coop to check on Sweet Annie. I noticed she was holding her left leg up, and that she was limping. She WAS moving around, thank goodness. Anyway, I picked her up and explored her leg. She was missing all her feathers on her thigh (I guess that's what it's called), and there was a puncture wound. I don't think it was broken, 'cause she WAS limping on it. I am going to keep my neighbor informed.

Jen

Quote:

Puncture wound isnt good... it can become infected very quickly from a dog bite.
Did you flush the wound out with anything?? MAybe put some triple antibiotic ointment on it?

Hope your hen is okay.

How did the dogs break in to your coop? you should check and make sure that area is repaired and super secure so the dogs don't try that again.

Quote:
The dogs weren't in the coop. My chickens free range during the day when I'm home. She was in MY yard, but in a part behind the run that isn't fenced in. The rest of the yard is fenced. She must have jumped over the fence. BUT she was in HER yard!!!
The dog was not leashed
rant.gif
somad.gif

Jen

I dont know where my old account went on here, but anyway, signed up again. Wanted to comment on this thread since I too fell victim along with 10 of my laying hens to a neighbors dog(s). My chickens are not free range & are in a secure pen. 3 of my neighbor's bird dogs came & ripped through the fence killing 8 chickens immediately, 1 was wounded really bad & we had to put her out of her misery. One other had small tears in her skin & later died too. I was insanely ticked off as was my husband. As all of you know, it takes forever for chickens to begin to lay good eggs & these had just started laying consistently everyday & large eggs. Well, my husband went to town to get his rifle & came back to find the dogs behind the coop (coming back to finish eating the chickens I presume) I am not a fan of killing a neighbors dog but like in the old days, an animal that kills a mans livestock used to be killed on sight. Well, we got one of the dogs & will kill any other dogs that come on the property. I dont have problems with coyotes like you would think I would in Texas but domestic dogs have so far killed 10 chickens including my prize rooster, 2 adult goats & ripped triplets out of one goat. Its been a slaughter house around here from DOGS & I dont tolerate it anymore. I'm just sayin....you have a right to protect your livestock. Its a law in Texas...nothin they can do or say about it. I'm proud to be a gun owner & a lifetime NRA member. Sorry to the people who dont agree.

I don't disagree with protecting livestock and family. Just sayin' there's a time and place. Rampant hoards of ownerless dogs killing livestock or dogs with egregiously careless owners may need humane one shot dispatching. However, a knee jerk reaction of "go get a gun" to resolve this problem does not serve Jennh or her chicken. The neighbor exhibited concern (according to her post) and shooting that dog would most likely create an undesirable reaction from the dog's owner. If this was a recurring problem, or the neighbor clearly disregarded Jennh and her poultry, or continued to allow her dog to unlawfully enter Jennh's property, then Jennh would have no recourse (barring more secure accommodations for her girls), but to dispatch the offending dog. Clearly, this is a traumatic time for Jennh, and she needs support, clarity, and rational advice.

Life should be held in higher regard. We should take greater care with our property, friends, neighbors, children and ourselves. This is such a "throw away" society.

If Annie has any broken skin it should be cleansed and treated. Probability of infection is high. She should be visually and physically inspected from beak to feet. When dogs bite, the wounds are typically on both sides, so if there is a puncture wound on the outside of the thigh, then the inside should be thoroughly inspected. The missing feathers may indicate the bite was limited to a smaller snap, thereby creating a wound on only one side. The joint and bones near the wounds should be gently inspected for breaks. A limp does not preclude a break. Annie could limp on a broken leg. Don't just focus on the obvious wound, look for other wounds; move the feathers, look for bruising, skin tears, puncture wounds, etc. It may be hard doing this type of first aid, since it's a dear companion. It may be useful to ask a friend or relative trained in First Aid to assist.

I hope Annie recovers, and I hope Jennh doesn't have to go through this again.

I feel your pain. Something similar happened to me more than 25 years ago. Two large dogs were packing through the neighborhood, jumped our fence, and loosened enough chicken wire by jumping against it to grab a few white leghorns. Many bantams flew out and hid under shrubs, but I lost about 6 total. I chased the dogs out of our yard while my dad got his rifle. He let the younger playful one go free, but the larger one was standing over an injured hen. The dog bent down, grabbed her, and started to shake her, and my dad couldn't stand that, so he dispatched him. Standing next to him, I said, "You're my hero!" I had to put down that hen because of her puncture wounds. I agree with the concept of NOT shooting an animal unless caught in the act, though.

Dog saliva can cause serious infections, so PLEASE treat her wounds with antibiotics!!

Dad passed 3 years ago. On his deathbed, I told him again, "You're my hero." He answered me, "You're my hero, too!"

Miss you, Daddy!

UPDATE #2 I went up to the coop this morning, and Sweet Annie is walking around, no to very slight limping. I think she's going to be fine. Thank God I went up yesterday when I did. LOVE that baby monitor
wee.gif
love.gif
ya.gif
clap.gif
celebrate.gif

Jen

Back
Top Bottom