I am such an idiot

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SkyWarrior, Dec 30, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Please forgive me for my rant. [​IMG]

My 13 year old Alaskan Malamute, Kira, started limping early December in conjunction with the cold. Thinking it was arthritis, I started her on aspirin. She seemed to improve for a while and then not. So I put her on Rimidyl. At this time, her back leg was showing weakness and she leaned to one side.

That should have been a clue. I was distracted by the holiday.

I put her on some other pain meds (with approval of my vet). It got worse.

Yesterday I noticed how tilted her head was and how she was moving more in a circle. I checked her eyes and they were moving back and forth. [​IMG]

Dang it! It's old dog vestibular disease! [​IMG] [​IMG] I've had two dogs with it and know the symptoms. It's curable if you treat it right, which is why the NSAIDS were working a bit. She's off the NSAIDS and is now on steroids and antibiotics.

I am so mad at myself. [​IMG] I should've caught this sooner. Her eye movement was subtle -- I had to lift her eyelids to see it, but it's there. Yeah, I'm not a vet, but dang it, I've been a musher for more than 20 years. I've had dogs with this. I know the cure. [​IMG]

So, she should make a full recovery. If she needs more high-powered stuff, I'll get her to the vet, but I'm pretty sure I can fix this. Poor Kira.

2. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Good luck and best wishes that Kira gets better and soon !!

I love Malamutes. I had one for 14 years, Maisy. One of the best dogs I've ever had - definitely the most gorgeous.

3. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I have four currently. Kira will be 14 next year, which is why it makes sense it would be arthritis. [​IMG] Still, I"m an idiot.

4. Caat

Caat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    BC,
    I have 2 Mals, I hope Kira makes a full recovery! HugZ n kisseZ to Kira!

5. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sky Warrior

Don't be too hard on yourself.
    The world is full of choices everyday.
    Sometimes we make the right one and sometimes we put the pants on with the other leg first, loose our balance fall and hit our head. (walk around with a black eye for a week or so)

Learn from the experience you were given.
    Love Kira and do the best you can going forward.

Peace
    Patricia

6. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Don't beat yourself up. You are taking
    care of it now, and that's all that matters!
    [​IMG]

7. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Thanks. I just feel so bad that she had to pay for my stupidity.

8. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    It matters not if you beat yourself up for being an idiot, you recognized the problem and are treating your dog. Either way, she still thinks you are a hero. That's what we love about our dogs-their unconditional love. Lighten up on yourself. [​IMG]

9. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    your not an idiot!! people make mistakes and with holiday distractions im surprised that you caught it in time..

good luck with you pup.. [​IMG] i want a mali sooooo bad i live in idaho and it gets cold DH said next dog has to stay outside.. i think they would be just perfict!!!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Eventually if we have enough animals we all blow it. Livvie our last golden was in her teens and getting more and more inactive. I chalked it up to old age. On a Memorial Day at my daughter's when she put her head in my lap, I happened to check her gums - they were ashen. Rushed her to the vets the next day and he performed a spleenectomy. She was/had been hemmorhaging internally from a tumor on her spleen. Like you we caught it soon enough that we bought her another 19 months. Don't beat yourself up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by