I am sure it has been talked about a lot, Worming Questions

I picked up a bottle today of Safeguard goat wormer in liquid form, It says to give orally, Can I put this right in there water and if so what is the amount for Peafowl,Turkeys and Chickens? Thanks

I picked up a bottle today of Safeguard goat wormer in liquid form, It says to give orally, Can I put this right in there water and if so what is the amount for Peafowl,Turkeys and Chickens? Thanks
It will settle in the water... best to give it orally, IMHO. My vet told me to give it at the rate of 50mg/kg by mouth and repeat in 10 days. This is on the high end, I think, but I have used it on very young chicks and sick birds without any issues.

Not trying to pick a fight, but one of the cons is that it can settle in the water, the other is that they might not drink enough to get the worms. Dosing orally is very easy to do and I am willing to teach anyone how to do it. I have done hundreds... all sizes, species and ages and not one has aspirated a single molecule! If anyone wants to learn how, just send me a PM and I'll reply with my phone number and talk you through it.

Joe,
I use safe guard for goats liquid at 3cc/ml per gallon of water for 3 days and then repeat on the 14th day be sure it is the only water they can drink for 3 days each time. Then I wait another 14 days and then I use Ivermectin pour on for cattle. I use 1cc/ml and squirt it at the base of the neck onto the skin. It is ok if some gets on the feathers as only 1/2 cc will get absorbed anyways. I worm in the fall and in the spring. Safe guard kills roundworms and cecal worms and the Ivermectin kills the rest plus it kills external parasites to for 30 days. The 14 day wait is so the worm eggs that have already been laid inside your birds can hatch so you can kill them as well. Hope this helps

You must be where I got my worming schedule from. Thanks Yoda, it works.

Castport,
I am not trying to pick a fight either but I will say this with experience with my birds. I have 38 peafowl and about 30 other birds in the pen in the yard. Chasing and catching and forcing things down a peas throat is very very stressful to the birds. Why put them through all that when you can mix it with water and they drink it? I would have to catch 60 plus birds to worm them or I just put it in the water cause they will drink it. So far my birds must have drank enough cause they have no critters crawling inside them. I understand your bird vet told you to do it your way but ask your vet what he/she would do with 60 plus birds. What do the bigger breeders do - catch 300 plus birds? Would your vet catch each one or put it in the water? Why go to the extreme when there is no need. I had someone come in my yard and throw a sick rooster into my pen about a month ago. Now my pen has a padlock on it. Well I had my first case of blackhead, never had it before. I took a fish zole pill and let the peacock eat it. Blackhead was gone in a few days. One pill, one time, no catching, no stress and a very happy bird. I then opened my breeding pen and let that peacock into the pen to seperate him from the rest so I could treat the entire flock of birds cause if one has it then there are others who do to. I mixed 3 fish zole tablets into each gallon waterer and served it for 4 days. No more blackhead.

I'll give a better answer a little later, but I have well over 200 chickens and probably 60 ducks, so putting Safeguard in all of their water sources is cost prohibitive. I think we can all agree that for worming in water to be effective, all water should have medication, right?

So the rate is 3 CC per Gallon of water, does this go for Chickens,Gunieas and turkeys also? Seems like such a small amount of wormer.
What if you have a pen of 30 Birds, does the rate change?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom