I am tired of jumping fences...

Hello all, I am on the fence jumping struggle bus! My 6 ladies and 1 cool dude, keep leaving my yard when they are let out to roam. We have a little over 1/2 acre fenced yard but they insist on playing at the neighbors. We spent the weekend putting chicken wire on the bottom half of the fence but now the ladies (my Silkie boy can’t fly) are flying to the top of the post and going over that way. As I write this I hear my Silkie crowing to let me know he has once again been abandoned. Building a taller fence all the way around is not an option so while I’m jumping the fence. yet again, please help me out with ideas to keep these ladies under control.
Clip there flight feathers different lengths on each side

Both the ideas of floppy top fencing and wing clipping work well. Wing clipping will still allow them the ability to fly up onto a higher perch to avoid predators. The flappy fence top helps to deter climbing predators, too.

I used to have the same problem, until I clipped my chickens wings. It is completely painless and only stops them from flying as high. For most chickens, only one wing needs to be cut. For my really good flyers, I cut both wings and that stops them from flying over the fence.
How short do u cut both wings I’ve cut one wing and they still fly over fence

How short do u cut both wings I’ve cut one wing and they still fly over fence

Welcome to BYC.

I just had to clip the other wing on one of my cockerels today when he got out twice in an hour.

You cut all the flight primaries this way:

1643240474068.jpeg

But watch for blood feathers -- which was my problem with my flighty cockerel. I'd had to skip a few blood feathers when he got his first trim a few weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom