I am wondering the same thing? Do I have a New Hampshire and a RIR????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Heddielynn, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Heddielynn

Heddielynn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2012
    Toledo, Ohio
    We have three ladies from Meyer Hatchery's Rainbow Pullet pack. We are not sure what these two are. Mrs. Babcock looks like a RIR, (second photo) however Graciella third photo. to me looks like a New Hampshire Red, she is bigger, plus I hope she is not a he. Now Thyme(first pic) I think is a Cuckoo Maran, her black is not really barred like a Rock. Now the last two pics are girls from our friend's own flock. Luna last photo is a very different girl. We think she is a mix, Roo was a maran, mom, possibly a Americana. Our last girl is all black with green and purple sheen to her feathers, she is Isabelle, she is also from our friend, Roo once again a Maran, so we think she is a Black Copper Maran.
    [​IMG]
    Thyme @7wks
    Oh, the fun of figuring this out. I wish Meyer gave you a check list with your order...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    pullet ~ marans
    pullet ~ production red or new hamp
    roo ~ same as the above
    roo ~ mix
    pullet ~ mix

3. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    X 2 [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    1st. Barred rock pullet, Cuckoo Marans have white legs.
    2nd RIR
    3rd New Hampshire Red
    4th Australorp
    5th Can't tell, bird is covered up too much. Could be EE, does it have green leg?

They are all good looking, :thumbsup

5. Heddielynn

Heddielynn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2012
    Toledo, Ohio
    Hi! I see on your profile, that you have Weims! I do too! lol The bird we call "Luna" has a grey/green leg. Now the other thread replies said that my black bird,Isabelle, and Graciella are Roos? Do you think so too?

6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    cuckoo marans chicks start out with light colored legs with a dark wash down the front of them
    [​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I got my BR from Meyer hatchery as well and it had the black wash down the legs just like hers. If you look at there web site the pic that they have there shows a chick with the black wash down the legs.
    I guess the real test will be the eggs that you get. :)

8. 4-H chicken mom

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH

They don't look like roos to me. My australorp hen has a large red comb. Although I can't really tell if they are getting saddle feathers or if their hackle feathers are more pointed or rounded.
    Pointed = roos, Rounded = pullet

9. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it's not an ausie

Quote: also if he was a copper the copper coloring would already be showing :)

10. 4-H chicken mom

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Oops My bad, I missed that part and also it doesn't have red ear lobes either, which aussie have. :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by