I believe I have a hermaphrodite chicken

Pics
Buddy you may not be that crazy but someone is pulling your chain. Hard.
And you know after what I've gone through the last week I would say anything is possible. That's why I'm taking the bird to a vet and they'll tell me the truth. Then I can post their medical findings and if people want to not believe it that's okay I mean this is the internet so anything goes right. But again I'll say this, there's a prank being pulled here then yeah it is being pulled on me.

Thanks for your reply, that is most helpful! And if this is a sex reversal I would think that vent checking may not be as accurate as it would be in a normal chicken but then again I'm no expert. That's why the bird is going to see a veterinarian and be examined medically to determine whether or not this bird has the plumbing to lay eggs because that's pretty much all the internet is going to take seriously, medical documentation from a licensed veterinarian.
Be sure to video record the vet visit and X-rays!

Thanks for your reply, that is most helpful! And if this is a sex reversal I would think that vent checking may not be as accurate as it would be in a normal chicken but then again I'm no expert.
I think the vent would accurately tell whether the bird has been laying eggs. That would not tell the underlying gender of the bird, just whether it has been actually laying.

The vent certainly does tell that in female chickens (broody vs. layer have vents that look different. The vent goes back and forth depending on laying status.)

That's why the bird is going to see a veterinarian and be examined medically to determine whether or not this bird has the plumbing to lay eggs because that's pretty much all the internet is going to take seriously, medical documentation from a licensed veterinarian.
Finding a vet who knows much about chickens can be quite difficult, but if you have one then I agree that is a good way to try to settle the matter.

And you know after what I've gone through the last week I would say anything is possible. That's why I'm taking the bird to a vet and they'll tell me the truth. Then I can post their medical findings and if people want to not believe it that's okay I mean this is the internet so anything goes right. But again I'll say this, there's a prank being pulled here then yeah it is being pulled on me.
Go to the vet prepared...with you phone on hand to record the exam and X-rays/ultrasounds...blood work...what ever is done and said to share with us.
What time is the appointment?
Is it today?

..... and still no pics of the bird in question's vent... so.... only an idiot would try to believe you now.
Well it is my understanding that looking at the vent is not 100% way of determining what is or is not happening. I'm going to let a medical vet that is trained to work with chickens to find out and put it on paper what's going on. Whatever the findings I will post them. And there was a 2nd. Egg but unfortunately it was destroyed.

Attachments

• IMG_20230828_131603258.jpg
    IMG_20230828_131603258.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 28
I think the vent would accurately tell whether the bird has been laying eggs. That would not tell the underlying gender of the bird, just whether it has been actually laying.

The vent certainly does tell that in female chickens (broody vs. layer have vents that look different. The vent goes back and forth depending on laying status.)

Finding a vet who knows much about chickens can be quite difficult, but if you have one then I agree that is a good way to try to settle the matter.
Well this is the internet so even with documentation is going to be hard to settle this matter. But people can believe what they want as for me I'm waiting on the vet.

Go to the vet prepared...with you phone on hand to record the exam and X-rays/ultrasounds...blood work...what ever is done and said to share with us.
What time is the appointment?
Is it today?
Where I live it's hard to find a vet that will even see a chicken so I have an appointment tentatively for the second week of September which is as soon as I could get me in, however I reached out to a friend of the family and I might be able to get in sooner with a different vet. As long as they're qualified to do this and oh yes I will be present and record it all!

Rooster !
When I gave him away at about 6 weeks with about nine other birds I was pretty sure it was a hen they were all supposed to be. She returned one to me about 2 months ago that turned out to be a rooster and then about 3 weeks ago she returned this one. The rooster that I thought because he crows and he tries to make with the hens from what the lady told me and I've heard him crow every morning but he hasn't been around to him since he's been back here again over 3 weeks. And there is no birds in there with him. It's looking like a sex reversal, and that's why I'm taking into a vet to determine this.

Attachments

• IMG_20230825_135117963.jpg
    IMG_20230825_135117963.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20230828_131603258.jpg
    IMG_20230828_131603258.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20230825_152416070.jpg
    IMG_20230825_152416070.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 58
I wish I could have got to the second one sooner. But he doesn't really nest in the boxes he seems to sit up on the edge of them and roost. The first egg fell into a pile of poop the second one was in a different box so maybe it cracked when it hit the bottom of the box if that's what happened. And then of course the chicken is going to eat a broken egg.

Back
Top Bottom