1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I Can’t Choose a Breed! Help!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HawaiiAraucanas, Jan 6, 2018.

Choose two or one breed(s) of chicken!

Poll closed Jun 6, 2018.
  1. Ameraucana

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Barred Plymouth Rock

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Silver Laced Wyandotte

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HawaiiAraucanas

HawaiiAraucanas In the Brooder

Dec 11, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Hi fellow chicken people! I am buying Chicks from Asagi Hatchery, and I need help choosing what two breed chickens I should have. Choose two chickens on the poll to help! I can only get two chickens, what two breeds should I get?

2. JaeG

JaeG Free Ranging Premium Member

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Silver Laced Wyandottes are often very broody birds who would rather sit and hatch eggs over the heat of summer. So that's something to consider, whether you need a hen to hatch chicks or whether egg production is more important. Barred Rocks don't tend to be broody and I can't advise you about Ameraucanas, but I know my English Araucanas are great little layers who have never even thought about being broody.

SonoranChick and HawaiiAraucanas like this.
  3. Pjacct

Pjacct Songster

Dec 1, 2017
    Sydney, AU
    I think it is always hard to chose the “best breed” as there are so many choices and some suited for better purposes than others.
    I have a barred rock and she is big in comparison to my other girls and is top of the pecking order. I have two araucanas that are bottom of my flock but they make up for it in personality and speed (they are really quick). But a bit of flash feathers is also nice to look at so a Wyandotte would be nice.

4. SonoranChick

SonoranChick Crowing

Aug 31, 2014
    Southern AZ
    I have had all three of these breeds and I must say, the ameracauna is the sweetest & most docile. My Wyandotte is a good flock member, but will hold her own when needed. Both lean toward the bottom of the pecking order. Then, there's Reese the barred rock. She pecks hard. She squawks. She eats feathers. She goes broody frequently. She's a fabulous layer, but she's a bossy lil thing and I'm not sure I would try this breed again. It's also important to remember that each chicken is an individual, and won't necessarily act according to breed. My leghorn, who should be super flighty, is a lap hen who thinks she's a puppy. So go with your gut feeling and good luck! :cool:

HawaiiAraucanas, JaeG and Pjacct like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: