I can I prevent so much food waste?

ourgirls

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
Hello, this is my first post. We've had six golden comets since last spring and we get about five eggs per day. I am wondering if there is a way to stop them from wasting so much food. I have a 7lb baby pig feeder attached to the wall of the coop at about their back height. I notice that when I fill it up, at least one will go right in and use her head and beak to start scooping the food from the trough onto the floor! When I clean the floor of the coop it is covered with so much food! Is there a way to stop them from doing this?

Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

Is there any way you can put a cover with holes over it so that the chickens are not about to get into the feeder?

That's a good idea. Have you done this? What material have you used to make a cover? Maybe some kind of plastic? Nothing creative comes to mind right now but it is late and my brain isn't working well!

Quote:
I would use a temporary like cardboard... and test out different hole designs to figure out what is the best way to keep the feed in and the chicken getting food then maybe you could make a plastic cover after you get a good design.

Quote:
I now have an old fashioned metal feeder(the long trough type) but I didn't have enough room on my walls to mount it. I wrapped the entire feeder in the left over fencing I had from my perimeter fencing. This allows me to fill it just like I always have but only allows the chicken's heads to go in between the wire. No flicking, no getting in and scratching....its been wonderful! Not a drop of feed wasted since I did it this way.

my solution was to use 3 inch pvc pipe. two straight sections joined together to form an L by a third piece that can slip off. it has a cap on top. 4 holes were drilled in the bottom straight section about golf ball sized so the chickens could stick their heads in it.

I just pop the top every few days, pour feed in, shake it so that it settles down the 'L' and wala! if you want a pic of it or something like it, just PM me . I dont have any offhand

Back
Top Bottom