I can sex your pullets and cockerels!

Do you like my thread?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Hi! I purchased several chicks (all supposed to be female) from my pet chicken, and now the chicks are about 8.5 weeks old. I know they do vent sexing but there is still a little bit of room for error. So we have three Easter Eggers one of them has got a very prominent comb and tends to kind of be a bully of the bunch. So we're starting to think she might be a he. I've included several pictures so please let me know what your opinion is. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20170929_122934_001.jpg
    20170929_122934_001.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20170929_122944.jpg
    20170929_122944.jpg
    733 KB · Views: 13
  • 20170929_111924.jpg
    20170929_111924.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 11
Any idea what these two 11 week old polish are? One is a lot bigger so I'm thinking a roo, but I have no idea how to tell with this breed.

Attachments

• IMG_2499.JPG
    IMG_2499.JPG
    910.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2502.JPG
    IMG_2502.JPG
    788.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2508.JPG
    IMG_2508.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2510.JPG
    IMG_2510.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Any idea what these two 11 week old polish are? One is a lot bigger so I'm thinking a roo, but I have no idea how to tell with this breed.
Nothing is screaming cockerel right now. From what I understand, in Polish, a cockerel's crest will be more unkempt and long, while a pullet's is better defined and neat. Also, a cockerel would have long saddle and sickle feathers developing at the base of the tail, while your birds do not, from what I see.

Hi! I purchased several chicks (all supposed to be female) from my pet chicken, and now the chicks are about 8.5 weeks old. I know they do vent sexing but there is still a little bit of room for error. So we have three Easter Eggers one of them has got a very prominent comb and tends to kind of be a bully of the bunch. So we're starting to think she might be a he. I've included several pictures so please let me know what your opinion is. Thank you in advance!
That's a cockerel. The comb is large and red for an 8.5 week EE, and he also has the long, droopy saddle feathers developing

I didn't see any difference in the feathers either. The only thing making me wonder is that one is always standing taller and more upright than the other, and larger. It also acts like the boss and squawks when the little one is too far away or not in sight. That and what are the chances I would get 2 pullets out of an unsexed pair, lol. Thank you for your input!

There will always be a more dominant one, so what you are seeing could just be the bigger one being dominant over the smaller.

Cockerel
I don't see any obvious cockerels

Anyone interested in attempting to sex these juvenile silkies. Can get better pics if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_20170928_162842.jpg
    IMG_20170928_162842.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom