I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!

Nooo lol! When they first start sometimes they don't know it is coming or misjudge how much time they have and it just plopps out.
She'll get better at making it to the nest.:)
One other question:

Kiwi, one of the chickens who laid yesterday, did not use the nesting boxes. She laid her egg in the middle of the floor. Does that mean she will keep laying her eggs on the floor? Or will she learn about the nesting boxes?

I have found an egg outside the laying box not far from the box and one time I walked in and guess what happened. I did not notice it was on the floor of the coop and stepped on it. Too late to save. Years ago when the hens were younger of all places found an egg on their roosting board. We had two together and it up there. I knew they laid and I just could not find any and then I looked up. Bingo, there was a couple one time. That is an interesting place to lay an egg.

If the box is occupied by a hen and another hen wants to lay even though there is more boxes they will lay on the floor. Ours picks one box and doesn't lay in the other two.

Just checking back in here to say our first layer has produced 8 days in a row now. I hope yours has done so also. It’s definitely the one that had comb and wattle maturity first as she was sitting in the nest the last two days before an egg appeared. I had been worried she was a roo but now we are thinking of renaming her Veronica Lake because her comb is flopping down over one eye lol! I’m not the original poster in case anyone hasn’t followed the whole thread

Just checking back in here to say our first layer has produced 8 days in a row now. I hope yours has done so also. It’s definitely the one that had comb and wattle maturity first as she was sitting in the nest the last two days before an egg appeared. I had been worried she was a roo but now we are thinking of renaming her Veronica Lake because her comb is flopping down over one eye lol! I’m not the original poster in case anyone hasn’t followed the whole thread

Thanks for the update!

I've only gotten 3 eggs so far. Poor Kiwi tried so hard today in the coop, in the nesting boxes, and with 90 degree weather! But she finally did it! What a great girl!

P.S. If you look in the right, bottom corner of my avvy, you will see a little blue box that says 'OP', which stands for 'Original poster'. :)

Ugh this heat! With the humidity we are really having a hard time here in New England. My husband, who didn’t want chickens yet built them a castle, was so worried about them today and even dragged out a cord for a huge fan! I was shocked we got an egg

Ugh this heat! With the humidity we are really having a hard time here in New England. My husband, who didn’t want chickens yet built them a castle, was so worried about them today and even dragged out a cord for a huge fan! I was shocked we got an egg
So was I.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom