I can't eat chikcen anymore!!!

I eat chicken (and love it fried best).. but i'll not eat MY "pet" chickens( Yes, i'll eat YOUR pet chickens,because i didnt raise them..)... and when they get killed by random predators, i sometimes actually do cry. And so has my husband. Why?? Because we're human... and we have no shame in that.
I have pet pigs too and i wouldnt EVER eat them, (just like i wouldnt eat my pet dog or ... my mother...)...but dam, i LOVE bacon and pork chops....

I'm not pathetic, I'm a normal human being with normal human empathy for other LIVING things...
Go figure...
idunno.gif

The day you lose that human empathy, you are in BIG trouble...
To each their own....

With THAT being said,.. if i bought chickens with the INTENTION to eat them..(meat birds...etc..)... then yeah... thats different.

I'm vegetarian and don't like eating eggs due to bad experience in high school, I keep my hen's as pets and to feed my parents, fiancee and dog.

I even stopped one of my girls laying because she prolapses. My Gran says "what the point of having a hen that doesn't lay?" The point is she can live a happier longer life
smile.png

That said, if she ever did prolapse severely and wasn't getting better, I am prepared to do what needs to be done...

Quote:
It's an experiment really. Last time she prolapsed I had the idea to shorten her daylight hours. To try and to simulate winter. The opposite of people providing more light in winter to induce laying.

I built a dark box with a roost in it inside the coop, I put her in there at 5:30pm and take her out 8am in the morning. It has worked for the past month. Everyone else is laying almost every day, and she still gets to spend the day with her flock, she's still second highest in the pecking order!
Even if it only works for a few months, it will give her a good deal of time to heal.

Wow!! I was shocked to turn on my computer today and see 45 responces.
A lot of good info and opinions, don't really know where to start.

I had no idea that the parent stock at a hatchery were treated much like the
battery hens. I ordered my chicks from Cackle. Now I feel bad, I did not want
to support any mistreatment of animals, I just had no clue. Now I know much better.
Thank you for the insight.

One day I hope to process my own meat, but right now I am just getting the handle
on farming starting with chickens. I figure one step at a time so I do not get overwhelmed.
That way I will know that the animal had the best care and a humaine death by loving hands.

I am sure that it will be hard at first, but after I do if for a while I think it will become easier as
I except their role in my life. I know that with killing my own animals I will be more thankful
for the dinner because I had a part in the animals life and dignified death.

thanks BYCers for all the great opinions.
thumbsup.gif

I always spell "chicken" like that, then I have to go back and correct it. Thank goodness for the red lines, else I'd have given you all a lot of laughs. I type to fast:)

Back
Top Bottom