I cant find customers!

n8mont4

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
New York
I raised 7 heritage turkeys. I am charging $5 per pound. After having an ad on craigslist for a few weeks, i have only sold one. Where do I post ads? How do I sell these?

Also, where do i find plastic bags large enough to sell them in?

Hmmm just a few thoughts...

1) My mom always wrapped them solidly in plastic wrap to keep them sanitary, and that was usually enough to convince the customer that they were good and clean. After that she often used a food-grade garbage bag. I know Costco sells a clear plastic one that isn't an obvious garbage bag.

2) How big are the turkeys? I know a lot of people want the nice heritage breeds, but a 10lb turkey is $50 when the might get the non-heritage kind for $10 in a grocery store. I love my organic free-range foods, but for my low income family it's more important for me to save $40.

3) It's not quite Thanksgiving yet. I think a lot of people are avoiding the thought for a few more weeks, if they can help it.

4) Food co-ops, eco-minded coffee shops, "world emporiums." Often they have community bulletin boards where you can post a nice full-color picture of your turkeys in their happy free-range paradise. Maybe be sure to check the prices for turkey sold within the actual co-op so you can offer a competitive rate.

Last edited:
I raised 7 heritage turkeys. I am charging $5 per pound. After having an ad on craigslist for a few weeks, i have only sold one. Where do I post ads? How do I sell these?

Start with family and friends, it will take a while but word of mouth will get around when they taste your birds.

I freeze my turkeys in heavy duty bags that companies who sell ice use. You need something that is thick enough and strong enough to hold a large tom, unless they are picking up the bird the day before thanksgiving. Also be prepared to brine the birds, so they will be tender and succulent, unless your customers are sure they know how to do it for themselves.
You can make up flyers and pass them out at daycare parking lots, laundromats, schools where parents are picking up kids, churches(cars in parking lots, everywhere ! There is a thread on BYC, I read the other day, where most areas of the country can only get $3.30 a pound for heritage turkeys, so if you can get $5., you will probably make some money. They said they sell the BB turkeys for $2.50(I think). If you market a good quality produce, people will buy it. It may take a little time for the word to spread, but it will, in time ! Just have to be patient.Like Scottingitup said, the first year it may just be family and friends who buy them, but when the people they have for Thanksgiving dinner says " what a delicious turkey", they can hand out your business cards ! People usually don't shop for Thanksgiving dinner until the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Good luck !
thumbsup.gif

The only thing that could override the cost is selling the Home raised part and the heritage breed This is a big seller to the right people. I think you might want to get shrink wrap bags, it makes the birds look presentable for sale. This is how 99% of people would see birds for sale.poultry shrink wrap.com has them or look other places but I would shrink wrap them to sell them to strangers.

Everyone here has great information on how price and present a bird for sale.
I have people at my work place that say they want to buy my Turkeys and my Daughters Teachers most want to buy a Turkey from us as well until there told how much the Turkey will cost them.
We will see how Meany follow threw with there purchase.
I am not worrying about it if I have more than I want to keep for breeding we will ether eat them our selves or I might gift some to family nothing says lovin like something from the farm fresh LOL.

On the bright side, you can eat 7 of them. It could have been a lot worse if you'd raised 50 of them.

You need to connect to the people who spend big bucks for good food and the health food store would be the best place, but they aren't going to allow you to come in and be competition. So I suggest bulletin boards at gyms and yoga studios (are all yoga students vegetarians?) where people are health conscious. Bulletin boards at the more expensive day care centers. Also, bulletin boards at pet food stores. People with pets who frequent specialty stores for their pets tend to realize the benefits of quality food.

Put an ad in the student newspaper if there is a college or junior college nearby.

Last edited:
On the bright side, you can eat 7 of them. It could have been a lot worse if you'd raised 50 of them.

You need to connect to the people who spend big bucks for good food and the health food store would be the best place, but they aren't going to allow you to come in and be competition. So I suggest bulletin boards at gyms and yoga studios (are all yoga students vegetarians?) where people are health conscious. Bulletin boards at the more expensive day care centers. Also, bulletin boards at pet food stores. People with pets who frequent specialty stores for their pets tend to realize the benefits of quality food.

Put an ad in the student newspaper if there is a college or junior college nearby.
Think of who would pay $5 a pound for a 20+ pound turkey, Or in other words, Spend $100.00 for their Thanksgiving turkey, before the trimmings! Those are the people who will be your customers and you have to convince to buy them. They will not be the people who shop price, they look at the "BIG PICTURE",so to speak. They are concerned with the environmental and social factors in their food purchases. These are the customers that will pay more for one of your turkeys because your farming practices are ecologically sound, the turkeys represent an important link to biodiversity, and all taste tests document that these birds have superior flavor and texture.Your marketing message must speak to these receptive consumers. Your commitment to farming and rare breeds will engage the attention and loyalty of these customers. They respect you as a hands on farmer, with your hands directly involved in raising turkeys. It will be eccentual to develop a direct relationship with these customers. Once you have convinced people to purchase your Turkeys, you must include as part of your marketing strategy the education of your consumers about the preparation of the birds, as they cook quicker and are handled differently, I am told than, grocery store BB turkeys and your customers will be looking to you to advise them on how to cook the birds for the best eating experience. Maybe explaining the brine process and furnishing a recipe or two. A professional chef can help you with this. In other words, if you really want to sell turkeys, You have to MAKE IT HAPPEN ! Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
thumbsup.gif

Well ask all your friends and family and put up pics of big turkeys and stuff! Make people want to look at your ads!
Good Luck hope you sell em' all!
smile.png

Last edited:

My ads are also on craigslist and in my area, people are willing to drive over an hour to buy my "free range" and "all natural food fed" roosters and Muscovy drakes. I don't butcher mine, so they leave in boxes or feed bags. Maybe you could try putting up ads at your local high end grocery stores?

Back
Top Bottom