I Can't Get This Right...

Maybe I'M Old school or just plain old but when my chickens have bumble I usually just go ahead and open that scab and get the bumble out.
With my duck it was different since there wasn't a scab and it didn't look like any bumble i had ever treated. So off to the vet we went. She put her on Metacam and antibiotic for 14 days after 7 days it didn't look any different so I used a scalpal with dh holding her and made a small slit and popped that core right out. Then I used antibiotic ointment and wrapped it till her foot was healed. I do think the antibiotic may have gotten the bumble to the place it was ready to come out. I honestly think this bumble would not have resolved on its own.

Maybe I'M Old school or just plain old but when my chickens have bumble I usually just go ahead and open that scab and get the bumble out.
With my duck it was different since there wasn't a scab and it didn't look like any bumble i had ever treated. So off to the vet we went. She put her on Metacam and antibiotic for 14 days after 7 days it didn't look any different so I used a scalpal with dh holding her and made a small slit and popped that core right out. Then I used antibiotic ointment and wrapped it till her foot was healed. I do think the antibiotic may have gotten the bumble to the place it was ready to come out. I honestly think this bumble would not have resolved on its own.
That's how I deal with my chickens. My big worry with the duckies is that I don't want to open their feet be cause they get so wet - even without pool access. They dunk their heads in their water buckets and manage to get water all over themselves and the run. I wrapped her feet very securely, and they have stayed on. If I opened them up, I'd have to bring them inside. They are all so... attached to one another. Separating them for long periods of time seems cruel, and I can't bring all 4 in! Vet appointment will answer a lot of questions, including if the vet's treatment will work for my situation. Monday can't get here fast enough! First time I've EVER uttered those words....

Yeah it was a pain to keep my Runner out of the pool. I set up a dog xpen and kept her in that so she could still be out with everyone and it made it less messy with it just being her In it. Plus I put a piece of scrap wood over the bucket so she wasn’t able to do a lot of splashing just head dunking.

Yeah it was a pain to keep my Runner out of the pool. I set up a dog xpen and kept her in that so she could still be out with everyone and it made it less messy with it just being her In it. Plus I put a piece of scrap wood over the bucket so she wasn’t able to do a lot of splashing just head dunking.
I may do that, depending on Monday's results.

Just finished soaking her feet again. I noticed a couple of worrisome spots on one of the others, so I soaked Marmalade's feet, too.

I spread an old bathrobe on the livingroom floor, fill a big bowl with Epsom water, and sit with my duckies. Tonight we watched duck videos on YouTube and Spongebob. I think it was @WannaBeHillBilly who said ducks like Spongebob.
My ducks don't watch TV - they have a radio in their house though.
Chuck and Buck from @SuperDuck are the Sponge Bob fan-club Pekins.

One foot is def getting better. The other, not so much. The scab came off after last night's soak, and her foot bled a lot. I still don't see pus, but her foot is still really swollen.

Behaviorally speaking, she's fine. She isn't even limping. I still let her swim in my bathtub for a little bit every other day. I think that helps.

Oh - and I have started the Tricide Neo stuff. It's only been 3 days, but I do think it's helping. I think that's why the one foot has improved so much. I'll keep that up until she goes to the vet Thursday and see what he says about it.

And the switch to the pelleted bedding has made me feel better. If I wanted to, I could walk around barefoot in their pen/yard. It's so soft and smells so good. I LOVE it! Should have made the switch sooner. Might've been able to avoid this whole mess.

The new grass we planted is already sprouted and filling in nicely. Should be ready in another 4 weeks. We are also going to sink their pool into the ground so they won't have to climb in and out of it. They use the ramp to go in, but usually just flop out the side that CAN'T be good for their feet.

But it's coming along. Wish it'd clne along a lil faster....

That is great that you are making progress. Unfortunately, it is a slow and steady progress for bumblefoot. But the little waddlers are worth it. I hope your vet appointment goes well.

Back
Top Bottom