I Can't Get This Right...

Pics

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
So my Runner, Figgy, has bumblefoot. I check my girls over regularly, but I thought it was just mud. It's not.

I'm treating it, but it's different than chicken bumblefoot. It looks like a callous more than a bumble I'd see on a chicken. I've read articles about how to treat it, so I've started with an epsom soak, a rigorous cleaning, antibiotic ointment, and wrapping. I'll keep that up until the scab thing comes off.

The nice, soft, grassy area I had for them is now dirt and rock - the worst surface for their feetsies. We are trying to regrow the grass, but the drought has made it nigh impossible. I can keep everything clean, but there isn't much I can do right now for softening the ground in the area near their pool.

I just can't seem to get this right. I am so sad that Figgy's feet hurt her because I can't make her environment right.
😭

Any advice? I'll post pics tomorrow.

You could try buying sod and putting it in that area. Or building a wooden floor with vinyl on top and then puzzle play mats to keep it soft. Easy to keep clean with a hose and soft.

Also you can try using pool noodles, cut the a little bigger than foot shape out of it (try to make it flat by trimming the round areas) and the put that at the bottom of her feet after daily treatment with ointment and wrap with vet wrap.

You should changing the wrapping daily and do the soaks, but this will keep the area under her feet cushioned (hard impact can make it come back).

If it reached the bone, you may need surgery for it to completely go away. I would also recommend a vet who can help and prescribe antibiotics as well. All of this together should help as you make changes the flooring.

Don't be too hard on yourself. I have yet to meet any long-term duck owners who haven't had their bumble foot battles and learning experiences on how to better prevent it. At our old house I thought I had my duck area planned out to a T, did endless research and didn't have bumble foot issues..... that was until we had a hurricane and terrible flooding. It washed up rocks and even broken glass all over the place (yes I cried and the glass apparently was buried from the drunk who use to own the house before who instead of cleaning up his bottles just buried them).

That being said if you can afford to I would completely re-do their area. I would start with a layer of pea gravel for drainage of at least 3-4" minimum, next get some good top soil to add at least another 3-4" and then top with a soft wood mulch. Build a small wooden deck with a ramp around their pool and directly underneath the deck have a ring of deep pea gravel to catch the drainage. Leave 1/8"-1/4" gaps in-between the boards as well to keep the water from puddling up on the deck. You can also coat the boards in a rubber flooring "paint" for better cushion and better grip that you can often find at hardware/home improvement stores.

The issue is that their area is large - like almost 1600 sq ft. And they share with my 12 chickens. I am planning to redo it to make it even larger and so that they aren't required to stay in the run at all. But that's still a couple of months out.

But I CAN redo the pond area. Great idea about the gravel. That I can do!

Ok. Here's an update:

Duckies are getting TLC while I get the pasture situation remedied.

I brought everyone inside for some treats. I put them in the bathtub for some swimminsss. I know that's not advised, but the water is clean (except for the peas and kale), and I'm going to soak them in epsom later anyway. They didn't get pool time yesterday, and their feathers were kinda icky. I figured this is a compromise. And they are all together and VERY happy.

Coop and run have been cleaned. Substrate was replaced with new pine shavings mixed with pelleted bedding that has been turned to crumbles. Pool has been drained, scrubbed, and moved. Kitchen rug is down. Grass has been planted. It'll take 4 weeks to grow out. Vet appt is Monday. I'm feeling more hopeful now.

My bathroom, however, is (for all intents and purposes) flooded. 😂

20210908_183155.jpg

Bumblefoot foot can be a pain sometimes. Even with best intentions things happen. I found blackberry growing in my duck area. A couple messed with it and hurt their feet on the thorns.

I highly recommend enrofloxacin, generic baytril, it will at least prevent it from going systemic while the foot heals.

Best of luck with them. They are adorable!

Back
Top Bottom