I caught a raccoon & another & another ***GRAPHIC PICS*** pic heavy

Speaking of raccoons, I had something try to get into one of my coops two weeks ago. I am way out in the country so it could have been anything. Something tore a hole about 2 feet by 1 foot in the TOP of my yard fencing. My coop is about 5 feet tall and I have chicken wire running the full length of the top of it. I was very surprised to find the hole up so high instead of at ground level. I was wondering if it was a coon. Maybe a hawk?
Here is a picture of the yard to give a better idea of where the hole was.

Goodness! I haven't had any coons yet. I did have an armadillo nosing around the coop, but our Rottweiller took care of it very quickly. (We have a game cam pointed right at the coop)

Speaking of raccoons, I had something try to get into one of my coops two weeks ago. I am way out in the country so it could have been anything. Something tore a hole about 2 feet by 1 foot in the TOP of my yard fencing. My coop is about 5 feet tall and I have chicken wire running the full length of the top of it. I was very surprised to find the hole up so high instead of at ground level. I was wondering if it was a coon. Maybe a hawk? Here is a picture of the yard to give a better idea of where the hole was.
Maybe a coon. Chicken wire is designed to keep chickens inside a space. Unfortunately, its no match for a hungry predator to get into. Good, sturdy no-climb fencing surrounds my chicken yard in winter. Warmer months, they all free range sunup to sundown with my 2 dogs on patrol. Hardware cloth is another option.

I trapped these two small ones that were getting into the girls food.....when I put their food up they went after the garbage cans and managed to get the garbage out with the lids still bungee corded on the can!?

Thought I took care of the problem until I checked the game cam. Check the time of day! my chickens are free ranging on the other side of the fence.

So, baited up and this is what happened.....

Stupid latch didn't catch.....

But I caught him two nights later.....I live in a coon free zone....for the time being.

Good job!! Coon activity really slowed down in my area after I trapped a string of them this spring. I'm sure they will be back with the return of cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom