I caught my fox! UPDATED.. now with the VIDEO!

I took it (legally... I checked with F&G) 25 miles and across a river to a remote state forest. Please don't give me all the arguments against releasing it; I know them all. I couldn't kill it for various reasons (my daughter, no gun, no heart for it....) and needed it gone ASAP. Probably won't do that again, as it stunk up my car way more than the skunk I transported last week!
No arguments here - just a simple fact. 25 miles is nothing to a fox. Unless it gets killed on the way 'home', it will return. It will never enter a box trap again.

I took it (legally... I checked with F&G) 25 miles and across a river to a remote state forest. Please don't give me all the arguments against releasing it; I know them all. I couldn't kill it for various reasons (my daughter, no gun, no heart for it....) and needed it gone ASAP. Probably won't do that again, as it stunk up my car way more than the skunk I transported last week!
Aww well thank-you for not killing it, I know they are a pain in the ***** but they're only doing whats natural for them (I know they kill more then they eat but still)....

Where I am there is a local fox rescue centre - I intend to take any I catch/trap there for now. There is so many foxes where my chickens are (the mum had babies) but so far
there hasn't been a problem (touch wood).

No arguments here - just a simple fact. 25 miles is nothing to a fox. Unless it gets killed on the way 'home', it will return. It will never enter a box trap again.
Sadly, after doing a LOT of reading, I think you're right. F&G told me 20 miles. From my reading, this fox has about a 50% chance of returning. I released it in a really nice area, but the free lunches are so much more plentiful right here!

For now, I'm keeping the trail cam on, and letting the girls out to forage only when I'm here.
Thanks for the input...

Sadly, after doing a LOT of reading, I think you're right. F&G told me 20 miles. From my reading, this fox has about a 50% chance of returning. I released it in a really nice area, but the free lunches are so much more plentiful right here!

For now, I'm keeping the trail cam on, and letting the girls out to forage only when I'm here.
Thanks for the input...
One way to check is to buy some live stock marker spray, then when you trap one you can spray it. The spray stays on for weeks and weeks (I use it on my lambs), this way you'll be able to tell if the one you relocate has returned.

One way to check is to buy some live stock marker spray, then when you trap one you can spray it. The spray stays on for weeks and weeks (I use it on my lambs), this way you'll be able to tell if the one you relocate has returned.

That is a great idea... I thought something like a paint ball. I know of someone who used a paint ball on a dog that kept coming onto their property after their chickens.

I joked with a friend I was going to do that... but didn't! I used to paint the squirrels i relocated with a fluorescent orange spray paint. Wish I'd done that here!

I'm also glad you didn't kill him. I was just looking at the pictures and thinking how beautiful he is. My dad has raccoon problems at his house, he catches one in a humane trap every couple of months as it is trying to rip through the soffett to make a nest in the attic. He then loads it up and takes it far away to the watershed land. We make our homes in the wild, and then get mad when the animals are just being animals.

I'm going to try raw chicken pieces to get my weasel tonight. But if it doesn't work out, I have multiple haveaheart traps. Including a little one. Or one big enough to have a rat trap at the back. And I have tarp... Inspiration! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom