I caught my fox! UPDATED.. now with the VIDEO!

tellynpeep

Crowing
14 Years
Oct 4, 2008
SW New Hampshire
They said it was near-impossible to catch a red fox in a havahart trap, but I DID IT!
I've been watching this guy for weeks on my trail cam, after it has taken over 3/4 of my flock this spring.
I have videos of it walking around the trap and looking at it for days. This fox is WILEY. But today I GOT IT! Using the advice of a local old-timer, this is how I did it:
I lined the trap up with a small (guinea pig sized) cage, and baited it using a couple of month- old chicks. Then covered the whole thing with a tarp. So the fox had to go through the trap to try to get to the chicks (who were NOT in any danger at all, since they were in a separate cage.)
Here's the set-up:

And here is what it looked like:

I am so darn happy about this!!!!

Last edited:
what did you do with the fox?
I took it (legally... I checked with F&G) 25 miles and across a river to a remote state forest. Please don't give me all the arguments against releasing it; I know them all. I couldn't kill it for various reasons (my daughter, no gun, no heart for it....) and needed it gone ASAP. Probably won't do that again, as it stunk up my car way more than the skunk I transported last week!

thank you, im glad a few people understand that foxes need to eat to. There is a circle of life, and humans burn a hole right through it!! i despise humans who kill animals just because they had to live. In fact, i think i despise humans in general, life on earth would be better without most of us!!

I took it (legally... I checked with F&G) 25 miles and across a river to a remote state forest. Please don't give me all the arguments against releasing it; I know them all. I couldn't kill it for various reasons (my daughter, no gun, no heart for it....) and needed it gone ASAP. Probably won't do that again, as it stunk up my car way more than the skunk I transported last week!
No arguments here - just a simple fact. 25 miles is nothing to a fox. Unless it gets killed on the way 'home', it will return. It will never enter a box trap again.

Good job
thumbsup.gif

No arguments here - just a simple fact. 25 miles is nothing to a fox. Unless it gets killed on the way 'home', it will return. It will never enter a box trap again.
Sadly, after doing a LOT of reading, I think you're right. F&G told me 20 miles. From my reading, this fox has about a 50% chance of returning. I released it in a really nice area, but the free lunches are so much more plentiful right here!

For now, I'm keeping the trail cam on, and letting the girls out to forage only when I'm here.
Thanks for the input...

Back
Top Bottom