I completely understand you Orpington lovers now!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Guitartists, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I've been assimilated! LMAO I have a bunch of hatchery chicks.... 2 of which are Buff Orps. All of the other birds are skittish and hate being picked up..... those Buff Orps though... they love to investigate! They come over and pick at my shoes and if I pick them up they just sit there and hang out [​IMG] They are soooo friendly! I will definitely be getting MORE Orps! I have 5 BBS Orp eggs in the bator and I can't wait!!!!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You are done for! We have you now! (evil laugh)

3. Hi! That's great! Have fun with your chicks.
    I'm not a fan of Orpingtons, but a great fan of friendly chicks !!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

4. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    I still don't get it.

I have three of 'em and pardon me for being frank, but I call them "Buff Boringtons".

What's the deal with them? They don't lay as much, they don't look as nice, they don't do anything but exist and eat food.

5. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Maybe it depends on where you get yours from [​IMG] The two I have... even for hatchery chicks.... are absolutely endearing! [​IMG] They have a sweetness about them that most of my other breeds just don't have.

6. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Yeah mine are from a hatchery and maybe they would be sweeter if they weren't in the shadows of other, sweeter birds.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree, I don't find them boring at all. They are the most beautiful, friendly, massive birds I've ever seen. Mine lay very good and are great mothers and excellent foragers. My rooster is even trained to roost on command.

Guitarists - you are hooked now..there's no going back. [​IMG] Let us Orp fans know when you need some more. I'm sure we could all help with your new addiction.

8. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Oh don't worry... it's just a matter of time before I come hunting for those Lav Orps! [​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Mwwaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaa! We GOT ya, hook, line and stinker!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] We can not resist our Orps!

10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Welcome to the world of Orpingtons! They are awesome birds! [​IMG]

Just wait until your BBS babies hatch! Then you really will be hooked! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by