I did it! (barred rock 'after' pic included)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LindsayB, Mar 12, 2011.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I finally got the courage up to butcher our 1 year old barred rock hen...I posted twice already about how she was plucking the feathers off our other 3 girls. Well this morning I went outside to feed and water them and she had drawn blood on our 2 easter eggers...After I saw that I'd had it. I went and filled our biggest pot with water and started heating it up on the stove. The hardest part was the killing. I prefer to use a small hatchet, I think its the quickest and easy way for them to go. that went pretty well, except I had to kind of hold her still afterwards so she wouldn't flop around and bruise the meat. Scalding and plucking really wasn't too bad either. the feathers just wiped off. I could not believe how much yellow fat was on her though. it was worse than a store bought broiler!
    Alltogether I had a good experience processing my first chicken. (I've had to cull 4 hens that were sick or hurt but we didnt use them for food) the picture in my avatar is the br hen....I think I'll keep her on there for a while now as a little memory of her. She was a very friendly girl towards me and very sweet, but I wasn't the one that had to live with her!!

Here are some after pics. Pretty good for a hatchery barred rock huh?!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I for one am proud of you for doing what was best for the flock. Your BR was a beautiful girl, but now your other chickens will be much happier. Good eating to you!

3. marymac

marymac Songster

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    That fat is full of flavor for making soup, you can take it off after it cools. You can't beat older hens for their flavor.

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I left quite a big of fat on her. I also saved the feet, liver, gizzard and neck.

5. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Songster

Good Decision and Well Done! [​IMG]

You did what was needed for your flock and the hen will feed your family!

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well I"m glad for you. Hope you had fun.

Rancher

7. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Thank you! It was a good learning experience! I'm prepared now for our 6 meaties...they should be ready in 6 weeks.

8. Fool

Fool In the Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    I'm curious how much does a year old BR hen weigh out at?

9. blackvelvet

blackvelvet In the Brooder

Feb 4, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Job well done. I am a nervous wreck in about 2 weeks I am doing my first meaties. I have killed chickens before but never actually processed and ate my on chicken. [​IMG]

10. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    She was 3 1/2 lbs live...I forgot to weigh after.. [​IMG] Is it okay to let her 'rest' in a bowl of water in the fridge?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: