I didn't know what's going on with our chicken please help

nickjohnston

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 9, 2014
A couple days ago I noticed something was wrong with one of our chickens. She has a hard nodule under her eye. She hasn't changed how she's acting or anything. She is the only one of 12 that has it. Please help.

Do you notice a bad odor around her face? Does she have any respiratory symptoms such as noisy breathing, gurgles, nasal drainage, cough, or sneeze? Swelling in the face with bubbles in the eye can be a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza, or it can be a tumor or an abscess from a peck or injury. There is swelling in her facial sinus. Have you had her long, and have you added any new birds to your flock in recent weeks? Depending on what is wrong, she may need an antibiotic such as Tylan, sulfadimethoxine, or something stronger from a vet. You could try putting warm compresses on her face, and putting some Terramycin ointment in the eye twice a day.

We've had her about a year and haven't added any new chickens to our flock in quite a while. Thank you for your assistance.

If the swelling is hard or firm, then a tumor or cyst may be more likely. Usually with eye foam there is soft tissue swelling. I would have her checked by a vet if a tumor seems more likely. I have seen a few tumors here on BYC in that region of the face, but look closely for any peck marks or any respiratory symptoms above.

Back
Top Bottom