I DO NOT understand some people!!!!!!

Quote:
That is why I offered her to put the money down, and she told me not to worry about it. And the appointment was set. I was not dragging my feet, i just had to wait for the appointment time and would have brought her the cash.

I'm sure i might have dodged a bullet. But it still sucks!

Quote:
Ummm yes you do. When buying horses that are being sold as healthy etc etc, you do not pay for the horse until after the pre-sale examination and clearance by a vet....that is the point of a deposit...to HOLD the horse until you pay for the vet examination and labs. That is normal horse buying. You never buy one without a pre-sale exam it is just foolish to do so unless you are buying one and you have 10,000.00 sitting in a bank account to cover vet bills when you get them home and realize there is a health issue minor or severe.

OP I think it is BS that the horse is being shown...that email is a "written" agreement...hold them to it, get your vet out there and then buy her if all is goes well.

Sorry you lost out on this horse. But I disagree with some of this. The difference between this and a layway at WallyMart or Ford is that they have MANY of the same product. If you change your mind, they aren't really out anything.

I disagree that you should have expected her to take the horse off the market AND refund your money if you changed your mind. Makes the deposit sort of pointless. The seller has one individual horse, so if a buyer comes by and she turns them away, and you change your mind, she might be out a sale altogether.

However, I commend you for not wanting to buy a horse without a pre-exam. That is smart. If she had another buyer and wasn't willing to wait for you, then so be it.

Quote:
First. If the woman gave HER WORD that she would except the deposit and wait for the exam to close the deal and didn't she lied. No if 's and or buts.

Second. If she was willing to let the horse go WITHOUT the exam then I smell a rat.

Third. When we purchased out house we put down a deposit (usually $500). Then WE hired an inspector at OUR own expense. If after the inspection things are found not up to code (and it turned out the water heater was vented wrong) the SELLER does not want to fix the problems found and WE don't want to proceed further with the sale the deal is done and WE get our $500 back. Now if the SELLER fixes the problems and WE decide to end the deal then WE are out our $500. Or we can agree to make the repairs at our cost if we really want the house.

So I'd be consoled that the woman was willing to do the Second thing and sell the horse without the exam. Unless she was selling it AS IS. Then things are different.

OP be glad you may have dodged a bullet. In the future get the exam first or agree to have the seller pay for the exam and add the cost to the price of the horse. BUT make it a vet of YOUR choosing. Then you'll have legal recourse and get all things in writing.

Hope you find the right horse and seller. They're out there just be patient.

Rancher

Quote:
I agree with others, that's not how a deposit works. What's in it for her? She holds the horse for you, turns away other potential buyers, and should you not want to purchase, you get your money back and she gets to start over with her efforts to sell?

What's the point of the $200 then? How is that an incentive for her to hold the horse for you?

That's what I thought but I didn't understand that it is different in the horse world.............. and kmart. Who knew?
idunno.gif

From now on I am going to try to
duc.gif
about stuff I don't know about. Sorry you didn't get the horse. Better luck next time.

Quote:
I agree with others, that's not how a deposit works. What's in it for her? She holds the horse for you, turns away other potential buyers, and should you not want to purchase, you get your money back and she gets to start over with her efforts to sell?

What's the point of the $200 then? How is that an incentive for her to hold the horse for you?

I don't think it would have been a simple case of get the money back if she changed her mind, it would have only been if the horse didn't pass the pre-buy exam and an appointment was set for that. I think the seller was hiding something. She possibly had the horse on drugs to hide a problem that a vet would have found. To me, that would compare to somebody selling a car and saying that it's in excellent mechanical condition. You put a down payment and say that you want your mechanic to look at it first. Your mechanic checks it out and finds stop leak, oil additives to hide engine noises temporarily, or a bent frame. Do you just tell the seller to keep the deposit but you aren't going to buy the car? If you had known about those problems you wouldn't have made the deposit but you did in good faith that the car was as advertised.

Well this sounds awfully familiar...last June Dh and I were looking to purchase a trail horse and we looked everywhere, we finally came across one and it was like we hit the jackpot, it was hard not to jump the gun and go straight for it, we went to see the horse and agreed on putting the deposit down (500 bucks) which btw I got a receipt for. I made the appointment with the vet for the checkup and all the while the owners were saying I really didn't need the vet check cause she had just had one and they had the paperwork, but a friend insisted that I should get my own done no matter what. I got a lot more emails from the owners who told me this horse was registered and had jumped before and had been a good winner and so we exchanged a ton of emails back and forth. I had to wait two weeks before I could get the vet to go down to see the horse and so dh and I went to visit the horse 2 more times while waiting, on the second visit, they asked us if we happened to have room for a companion mare. They sweetened the deal by a whole lot, they offered up the horse for 1500 dollars if I took them both the following week, so I really would only need to put down another 1000 and then trailering which funny enough they offered to do at no charge, a whole 2 days before the vet was available to check them out. I told them I would think about it and on the drive home Dh and I were discussing this and we were saying how the horse looked like she was in great shape and stuff.

then the shoe dropped, the day the vet was to be there, I got an email from them, "we just sold the horse and the companion mare, sorry for the inconvenience, we will mail your deposit back"

I was furious.......I drove down there 3 times in 2 weeks, its a 6 hour round trip each time and I was set on the horse....

I did email them back but never received another email from them. I received my deposit back a week later.

in September my friend was looking into adding another horse, and she called me. I got an email from a rescue center and I think you should come see it yourself. I drove to her house and the email contained photos of the horse I was to purchase and the companion mare and basic info, horses found at auction bound for slaughter house, rescued, and need info, if you recognize these horses please contact....

I went to the website and they have a full disclosure of health issues and future prospect....it stated that due to the lengthy list of health issues neither horse would ever be suitable for anything other than companionship. the horse I was to purchase needed boots and had something wrong with its back.

Sad thing to me was that she didn't look unhealthy at all when I had seen her, so I am not sure what occurred to them in the 4 months since I had seen them last. Or whether it could have been present before and I just didn't notice it, which makes me feel even worse.

either way I contacted the rescue center and I gave them the info and the location of the owners, I forwarded some emails pertaining to them and I didn't hear anything at all until late November when the center emailed me a follow up and said they had been adopted to a good retirement home, and that the owners had sold the horses to the first person that came with the 1500 dollars they were looking for, but claimed the knew nothing of the horses after the sale or how they ended up at auction.

I still can't really say if I saved myself a ton of money and heartache, or if just kind of allowed this to happen by being persistent with the vet check up.
hmm.png

Quote:
Yes, I'm following along a little better now. If the seller was at fault (presented a supposedly healthy horse, but the vet check found otherwise), then the buyer should get her deposit back. If the buyer backed out otherwise, the seller would get to keep the deposit. At least there's some incentive for the seller there.

If she was offered a good price for her horse, understood the point of the deposit, and still refused the offer, then I agree that she may have been hiding something. However, perhaps the deal wasn't sweet enough for her, and then I could understand her hesitation on accepting the deposit. It can be hard to talk somebody down on their price and then say "give me some time". Sometimes you have you put yourself out there (or get the vet there sooner).

It was crappy of her to say she'd hold the horse and then not, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Generally you have to make things happen or possibly lose out.

Funny thing is, I NEVER argued with her price! I offered her the full amount, I just wanted to vet to check everything first.

And yes, the only way I would have backed out of the deal is IF the vet found something. If the horse was healthy I would not have changed my mind. I was set on her unless she was unhealthy.

Still bums me out. But I have emailed on a couple new horses now. Hopefully I can find "The one"

Back
Top Bottom