I don’t think I can do it!

I'm the same way right now. I have 2 Cornish bantam male's and a few male quail that I will have to do in about a month if I can't sell the quail (yes I know they will still be food most likely). I know the physics of doing it, at least with the quail and got the equiptment, but these are guys that i eagerly awaited to be shipped and I've handled them all, so I'll feel a bit bad. The Cornish are so gosh darn big for their age That I still have to find the best method for them.
Yes, I empathize. The 3 boys are all eggs I hatched, and one in particular, Carl, I strongly aided, as he was 2 days late to hatch. He tumbled out, all wet and pathetic, into my hand. I named him Carmen, but sadly, he's a Carl. (You can see them all in this video I made)
So it's going to be hard to kill them. But we can't keep roosters, so the best I can do now is to make his life happy, his death quick, and honor him by eating or using every part of his body.

In reptiles it’s common to use CO2 chambers for feeders. I found an old thread here on BYC that talks about that.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/baking-soda-vinegar-ratio-for-euthanasia.455836/

Tbh I just processed my first quail last week, I didn’t know if I could do it. It went fine, my husband and I did it together, I felt good about being able to do it and grow food from egg to table. We just used sharp shears, quick and painless. They never suspected anything.

I have quail for meat and eggs.. but I don’t know I can actually.. do the deed for the meat part! Killing the quail then processing? How did you get passed it? I have too many males and I was thinking about processing one of the really small females. But how??? 😓😓
Need to know how this ended. I am in the same situation, not really by choice. I got some quail that were supposed to be female and they are not...now the seller is not responding, so I am stuck with about 7 males and 6 must go. I can't seem to find it in me to do it but I was thinking this morning I don't want them to kill each other so I might have to do this to be humane. My family, however, has refused to eat them. We are going to go vegetarian for a month because of this by the way. I could eat them because I do eat meat, but I didn't set out on this venture to have meat birds.

Need to know how this ended. I am in the same situation, not really by choice. I got some quail that were supposed to be female and they are not...now the seller is not responding, so I am stuck with about 7 males and 6 must go. I can't seem to find it in me to do it but I was thinking this morning I don't want them to kill each other so I might have to do this to be humane. My family, however, has refused to eat them. We are going to go vegetarian for a month because of this by the way. I could eat them because I do eat meat, but I didn't set out on this venture to have meat birds.

Just curious why this is causing you to be vegetarian for a month. There is a video on YouTube by Slightly Redneck (I think) on how to butcher

If my family can't eat meat that we process, I think we should consider not eating meat. Again, I didn't want to have male quail and have the prospect of processing them, but I am responsible for them now however that came to be. I can't seem to give them away, and they are already starting to be aggressive at 7 weeks. Big mistake on my part, but it led to a whole discussion about eating meat. We are going to try plant-based diet for a month to see if we could really give up meat.

Just went through this myself. I hatched them, raised them, and didn't want to have someone else kill them. I knew even though I didn't want to do it I'd rather know it was done right, quick, and humanly rather than drop them off and wonder. It's really not as messy I thought it would be. There are tons of video's on youtube. Kind of have to just tell yourself. I gave them a great life and now I'm going to make sure they die as quick and humanely as possible. With me I had 8 males that fought so bad that I truly felt it was better to process than leave in a pen where they were torturing each other. Also told myself I need the pen so that can add more hen's/chicks. Once I separate the eggs from the meat the meat gets fed and cared for but I don't spend any extra time getting attached.

Back
Top Bottom