I Don't Get this at all

ChooksinChoppers

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Ocala, Florida.
Our county is Lee County and has a few cities within...Cape Coral allows Chickens even up to having a Roo. Ft Myers doesnt, but I lived in one area where when you went for a walk in the am you could hear roosters crowing all over it...mind you bad area, drug dealers walk up to your car while at stop lights etc. Lehigh Acres (where I live) is way out of town from Ft Myers and they enforce the ag only chickens rule.
roll.png
I am applying for an exception as DD is on disability and the Chickens are the main reasons she ever leaves her room. I just dont understand how they can say yes in the Cape and no everywhere else and turn a blind eye to the obvious roo keeping for fighting purposes in another area. Any advice?

Last edited:
Well Yay! Good news. The Inspector lady came out again and said we can have an exception for the silkies as they are DD's pets and good for her health issues. "just don't turn it into a commercial operation"
lol.png

Congrats! But please do not think that just because you hear roosters that they are being kept for fighting. There are many other reasons people have them, and portions of Florida are well known for haing feral chicken (and rooster) populations.

Here in the city of syracuse, chickens are around cuz it's the culture to have them and no one will complain. We have orientals and others and you might hear a rooster or two crow. They're not legal but if no one complains things are fine.

Now in your situation there is a great deal of information to help change ordinances. "City Chicks" is a great book and you might find it at your local library.

I wish you the best'

Rancher

Quote:
I walked that area a lot when I lived there as I didnt have a car at that time, no hens at all. only Roosters in little cages. Hmmmm?
And every second house had a pit bull.
I ran out of areas to walk my Jack Russel in as she wanted to counter attack them and was pulling on her leash hard enough to hurt my arm. Soooo glad to be out of that area now!
Also, I was making a mental list of areas that have "patches" of land with cattle and one place on college parkway (totaly lined with stores and businesses with apartments in back) right before the Cape coral bridge there is a farm with at least a 100 goats
ep.gif

I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it! Another one with cows is on a road leading to a huge expensive golf course subdivision and opposite a major shopping center with a sweetbay and publix. All grandfathered in I expect.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom