I don't have a compost pile

You can buy plastic compost bins for your yard. They are enclosed so not to draw flies. I have a black one that I bought from our township but they are available on Amazon. We don't use it for chicken poo since it's on the other side of our property.

Wait.... Mine poop all over in the run too.... Yours don't?? I wish I was so lucky!!!
mine poop in the run but it's a big enough area that it doesn't get concentrated and build up before the rain and weather breaks it down to nothing.

You can buy plastic compost bins for your yard. They are enclosed so not to draw flies. I have a black one that I bought from our township but they are available on Amazon. We don't use it for chicken poo since it's on the other side of our property.

Exactly, this is what I was getting at too. Mine was bought via the council for about ten quid.

OP, these "tardis" type compost bins are just a plastic bin which you place on the ground. When you want to add stuff, you lift the lid to do so. The lid stays closed so you don't get flies. After several months, the compost is made and you lift a Shute at the bottom to take out as much as you need.

It's the size of a dustbin and it's a really handy thing. Instead of putting my half bucket of chicken poo in a waste bin, I put it in my compost bin. Same process - lift lid, dump, close lid - but the difference is that you get something useful at the end of it! Mine doesn't smell or attract flies at all.

But as I said before, if you're still dead set against a compost bin then just throw the droppings away, I guess.

I think whether you will have flies depends on where you live. Have you ever heard of the "aussie salute"? Even if we cover our compost bins, there will be flies. There will be flies if no compost bin. There will be flies..... :D

Exactly, this is what I was getting at too. Mine was bought via the council for about ten quid.

OP, these "tardis" type compost bins are just a plastic bin which you place on the ground. When you want to add stuff, you lift the lid to do so. The lid stays closed so you don't get flies. After several months, the compost is made and you lift a Shute at the bottom to take out as much as you need.

It's the size of a dustbin and it's a really handy thing. Instead of putting my half bucket of chicken poo in a waste bin, I put it in my compost bin. Same process - lift lid, dump, close lid - but the difference is that you get something useful at the end of it! Mine doesn't smell or attract flies at all.

But as I said before, if you're still dead set against a compost bin then just throw the droppings away, I guess.

Well I looked on line at our local Canadian Tire & they have a nice compact tumble
Compost, plastic and has doors to open & close with built in handles to turn it. Sound pretty simple so it's worth a go. $100 bucks so have decided to get one. Thanks for all the info!!

Back
Top Bottom