💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Blamo is my almost 3 year old GLW.
Today I noticed that she is acting very weird. She is standing up very tall (like straight up) and wattles around awkwardly. It was getting dark and so I didn't think of trying to see if she eats or drinks. She didn't get on the perch either. I will get pictures in the morning. Thanks.
Edited to add: I thought of egg bound already. She hasn't laid a single egg for almost 2 years!

Last edited:
I went outside to shut in the chickens a couple minutes ago. It's much later that I usually do it. Blamo wasn't in the coop, and after a bit of searching I found her underneath it out of the rain. (It's going to snow tonight). She is very bloated and round underneath. It's not very squishy either. I stuck her in the coop and she just sits on the floor and doesn't perch anyone. :( Idk what to do with her.
Was she wet? If she was, then it would be a good idea to bring her in and dry her.

I'm very sorry that she's struggling. It sounds like she's getting worse.
IF the abdomen has fluid, sometimes that can be drained to give the hen relief for a short period of time.
Since this has been going on for a while, I would suspect that she's succumbing to whatever condition that is causing the bloat. If you feel she's in pain and suffering, then putting her out of her misery is a kindness.

Do you have someone with you that can help you access her condition? Neighbor, parent, sibling, friend?

I went outside to shut in the chickens a couple minutes ago. It's much later that I usually do it. Blamo wasn't in the coop, and after a bit of searching I found her underneath it out of the rain. (It's going to snow tonight). She is very bloated and round underneath. It's not very squishy either. I stuck her in the coop and she just sits on the floor and doesn't perch anyone. :( Idk what to do with her.

Maybe it will help me know what is wrong with Blamo though
On her last day, I noticed that she appeared worse. (She had been walking vertically like a penguin.) I picked her up, and it looked like a giant blood clot was hanging out of her rear end. We knew that that was it for her. We had to cull her.
On this, it sounds like when Patti had water belly. You can drain it somehow, but I don't know how. That'll help preserve her a little longer, and relieve her.

If it is ascites as some are suggesting, as in her abdomen is bloated and full of liquid, I have found a good treatment option. My 7 year old hen has had ascites for 2 months and would’ve died a month and three weeks ago if it wasn’t for this treatment. It has prolonged 4 hens lives by months.

There is no measurements in this but mix
Apple cider vinegar
Cinnamon powder
Oregano
Small amount of water
- mix this well, give it once a day at 8 ml a day

Then I give 8 ml of Lily of the Desert Aloe Detox.

I have been giving this hen it everyday and she has absolutely no liquid in her abdomen. 2 months ago, she was about to burst due to all the liquid and it all went away.

No, she wasn't wet because she was underneath the coop.
I put her in with her 3 "daughters".
Yes....I'm afraid that's going to have to happen. But I don't trust anybody to do it.....
Good, then I would leave her with the girls.

I'm very sorry that she's not doing well.
I can understand the worry of having someone put her down for you. It's not an easy thing to do.

Blamo is my almost 3 year old GLW.
Today I noticed that she is acting very weird. She is standing up very tall (like straight up) and wattles around awkwardly. It was getting dark and so I didn't think of trying to see if she eats or drinks. She didn't get on the perch either. I will get pictures in the morning. Thanks.
Edited to add: I thought of egg bound already. She hasn't laid a single egg for almost 2 years!
Can you get some photos of her?

I agree, if she hasn't laid in 2 years, then she's very likely suffering from a reproductive disorder.
I would still rule out being egg bound though. Even if she's not been actively laying eggs, there's always an off chance that production can start back up.
I would give her 1 Caltrate and IF she's not in distress, then a soaking in a warm epsom salts bath.
Dry her very well.

Can you feel her abdomen for any bloat or a feeling of fluid?

Was she wet? If she was, then it would be a good idea to bring her in and dry her.

I'm very sorry that she's struggling. It sounds like she's getting worse.
IF the abdomen has fluid, sometimes that can be drained to give the hen relief for a short period of time.
Since this has been going on for a while, I would suspect that she's succumbing to whatever condition that is causing the bloat. If you feel she's in pain and suffering, then putting her out of her misery is a kindness.

Do you have someone with you that can help you access her condition? Neighbor, parent, sibling, friend?
No, she wasn't wet because she was underneath the coop.
I put her in with her 3 "daughters".
Yes....I'm afraid that's going to have to happen. But I don't trust anybody to do it.....

Back
Top Bottom