I don't think this guy is going to make it Update

woodmort

RIP 1938-2020
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
I posted a picture of this EE chick a couple of weeks ago and he doesn't have many more feathers now that he did then. In fact, I don't even see pinfeathers on his neck or back. He isn't getting picked on--I watch the flock very carefully to be sure--if anything, he tends to be aggressive. The problem is that if this is the most he feathers, once it gets cold he's not going to make it. BTW he and the rest of the chicks that came with him are 8/9 weeks old and his brother is crowing as of today.

62375_img_1922.jpg

Last edited:
Can you semi-isolate her/him to be sure the others aren't doing something when you aren't watching? The rest of the feathering looks pretty normal especially the wings and head. Is her/his skin clear?

Poor baby.

This is pretty much like he's been from the get-go. He never really lost his chick fuzz like the other birds did. His skin is fine and there is no sign that he's being pecked or harassed. Also he seems smaller than his siblings although that may be due to his lack of feathering. At least when I watch he seems to get to one or the other feeder and waterer without any problem. I'm pretty sure he's missing a gene someplace. Actually he is a dominate bird which leads me to think he's a he, I'm pretty sure he's only one of two roosters in the whole hen house.

Gosh, I'm concerned because you usually have so many anwswers to our questions. Does his skin look normal? I guess I'd just try to keep him separated to rule out pecking for certain. Maybe he could wear a scarf this winter...
hu.gif

Quote:
I'll see if my dear wife will knit him one since she is also concerned. I've gotten to know a lot of chickens over the years on an up close and personal basis and this is completely new to me--I'm hoping with the vast amount of experience on here that someone else has a clue. Frankly, while I've had birds that were pecked I've never seen anything quite like this. His skin is a normal color--he just looks like a chicken after it is scalded and plucked--there are no pin feathers or sign of any on his neck from the cheek feathers down. I'm sure if this were the result of pecking the other chicks would be taking head and check feathers but they are well developed as are the wing feathers.

Last edited:
Did the place you got him from have naked necks; because he is looking like a naked neck hybrid.

I think he is just genetically not right.

Last edited:
He came from McMurray's as one of the 6 straight-run EE's (no exotic, they threw in a black star pullet) so I'm sure he's an EE. The cheek feathers would be a clue. I think you're right, he may be the result of too much inbreeding.

It is now 2 months later and he/she has made it this far:
62375_img_1983.jpg

Gradually the feathers have filled in from the body upward but there are still some pinfeathers showing as well as bare places. This bird will not leave the coop but otherwise seems to get along well with his/her sisters (I'm not sure yet what sex it is.) But notice the difference in size between it and its hatchling in the foreground.

62375_img_1982.jpg

I saw the chick a while back and was concerned for it. - I was going to suggest a woolly jumper ( No I am not nutts I have actually saw them for chickens on a TV show once but cannot remember which. There was a lady who knitted them for chickens with no feathers in the winter here!) I am glad to see that your wee chcik has started to grow feathers at last. I hope its a she!!!! I think she/he is all the more special because of the struggles and also the determination to survive and keep going. That is one special Chick!!!!!!! - My wee chick Omlet was very very ill recently and I don;t really know what was wrong. She just started collapsing and couldn;t weight bare. Also her Poo was all watery like she wasn;t eating but she was. I took her to the Vet and he charged me £25 to tell me to kill her!!!!!!! Anyhow I brought her home and nursed her not really knowing much what to do. I have fed her Layers even though she was only 14 weeks - I also gave her Tuna and Banana because they are high in Vit B1 and B2. I did this because the Vet told me she has a deformed Breast bone and it was curved which would throw her off her feet and she would never walk. Well I got onto the Avian society and they were very helpful. Told me to slow down the growth and feed her less protine and more Vit B. Now she is 18 weeks old running around the pen and fighting with the other baby roo for food. - And the Vet said kill her - Well she would be dead for no reason if I had listened to him. I am telling you about Omlet to encourage you - I am wintering these two youngest weakest chicks in the Garage they will not be outside in the really bad cold weather. Maybe you could do something for your little one - maybe seperate her/him with a friend to get over the winter in the warm. It might be better then losing her/him for the sake of a bit of inconvenience????

Anyhow best of luck with your chick. I think she/he is lovely.

Oesdog

Glad to see she is coming along (missed the post the first time).

Looks like a pullet to me - take a close look at her comb - do you see one row of peas or three rows? Three tend to be cockerels - a "single visible" row as a chick tend to be pullets (I say tend cause there are always chicks who must be difficult)

I have a heritage orp cockerel who is still slowly feathering out - he was hatched in April. Some of his feathers came in, but his body was bare - no fuzz no feather. He is now almost feathered out on his body - still no tail
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom