I don't think this is an emergency, but I'm confused and worried

JCE123

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
My young silkie hen started laying maybe a month ago and has been laying tons! She is such a good girl, always friendly and happy. Last week, she went into the coop and sat on the roost in the middle of the afternoon which I thought was weird, so I picked her up and her 'chest' area felt squishy. I noted it it but didn't do anything. Still squishy the next day but behaving normally, no more hiding in the coop. The day after that I checked her in the afternoon and her crop was huge. More full than normal. I worried that maybe she's developing a crop problem, impacted or sour. So I gave her soft food soaked in warm water and with olive oil. Next feeding, I mixed in a bit of yogurt and kefir. Then added a bit of an herbal supplement that I have that's used to fight candida. The next day her crop was emptied but still her chest felt squishy. Around this time I was bringing her into my pantry to try and observe her closely, but she really hates being separate. She also laid an egg that had LOTS of blood in it about this time. I cracked it and found this out this morning. She has two other silkie buddies, so I brought them to hang out with her. I kept them in the pantry for a day, brought them to the coop to sleep in a big dog crate at night, and then back to the pantry next day so I could watch her and control what she eats and drinks. I decided that the crop was emptying ok, so put them back into the flock. She has been laying consistently and behaving normally until a couple of days ago, when she started sitting in the nest box for a really long time. Also she usually sleeps either with the big hens on the roost or snuggled with her other silkie girls in their corner sleeping spot (the other silkies don't lay yet). But the last few nights she seems to want to sleep in one of the egg boxes, one next to their usual sleeping spot that is never used for laying. I moved her back to sleep with the other silkies though.
So, am I just stringing random weirdness into an imaginary issue, or should I be concerned? She has been normal other than the events I mentioned, walking around fine, running around during afternoon backyard play time. But her chest is still squishy.
I am new to chickens, since July. I only have 8 and we love them as pets. One of my other silkies had major health issues for some time, but has made a great recovery. These birds are so much fun, but they also make me worry a lot! Any advice on what I should do for my current worrisome hen?
Thank you chicken gurus! :)

She could possibly be going broody or wanting to hatch eggs, which is usual silkie behavior. My two drove me nuts going broody every other month,LOL. I once had a welsummer who laid an egg with blood in the albumen or white almost every day for months, then stopped laying permanently. Below is a picture with just mild blood, usually it was much more. Here is a link that may help explain the eggs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

The egg I opened this morning was VERY bloody. A true Halloween scare.
But since that one her eggs are normal, I opened all that I had been saving
for a brunch on Sunday :-/
I hope it's just bloodiness, but how can the squishy breast be explained? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom