I don’t have a heat lamp…how can I keep my newly hatched chicks warm???

Yanisay

Chirping
Mar 20, 2022
So I have chicks that are 5 days old,I keep them in a relatively small room so I can keep them warm at all time,but I have one problem and it’s electricit…we don’t have enough electricity to keep a lightbulb on at all time,so I can’t keep them warm enough,their room is about 23 degrees Celsius and I covered their coop with a blanke,I mean their eating and drinking well,should I keep them in the room?is it warm enough??

Baby chicks do not need to be warm ALL the time.
They like to run around and eat and drink, then go warm up, then run around again.

For warming up, they can do it under a mother hen, or under a heat lamp, or snuggled together in a box, or next to a bottle of hot water, or something like that. With a heat lamp, it's best to have the "warm" place be about 32 to 35 degreees Celsius (90 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit, about the same as human body temperature.)

They need enough light to see during the day. If you have a blanket over their coop, make sure they get enough light during the day.

The first few days are when they need the most heat, and as they get bigger and grow feathers they are fine in cooler temperatures. So if they're already made it to 5 days and seem fine, you might just continue what you are doing.

well alright I will see if I have electricity,I forgot to say that I put a peace of clothing that they snuggle in will that help??
Just like NatJ mentioned, they need a cool area to get away from the heat when they need to.

You can do hot water bottles, plus warm clothing material like fleece if you have it. Make a tent.

Back
Top Bottom