I feel like giving up..

One thing to keep in mind about the solar charger, they only work when the sun is up and out (at least that is how my older model works). You may want that protection in the wee hours of the night too for raccoons, foxes and of course, the crazy guy's dogs.

You need to approach this problem logically.

1. You need to confront/ talk sensibly and unemotionally to the owners, if this is not acceptable then call the sheriff and discuss the problem and what you can legally do about it. If necessary visit the station to find out. I wrote a letter to the landlord of the house nextdoor cuz their dog charged me twice and will probably have to again as it came at my SIL who had to kick the dog to keep from getting bit. My yard is chainlinked fenced where the chickens roam. Stockade for the side nearest the neighbors so the dog can't really see the birds.

2. You need to visit the town hall and find out in writing what the animal laws/ordinances are on the books.

3. If necessary talk to an attorney or paralegal and find out what can legally be done.

4. Check with the town to find out if you can find out who the neighbors insurer is and contact them directly.

5. If the dogs are not being taken care of properly call the animal control and report them. Take pictures for proof. You'd be doing the dogs a favor.

First contact the neighbors if not physically by certified mail. I can't go to my neighbors door cuz of the dog, it's a pit and scares me.

Or you can be a prisoner in your own home and not do anything and get rid of your birds, or you can move. Not what I recommend but an option none the less.

Keep us posted

Rancher

Last edited:
Totally agree with RancherHicks except this small bit
1. You need to confront the owners

Don't 'confront' them, talk to them sensibly and unemotionally. Given the situation you might be better talking to them on the phone. Given this mans disposition it sounds like....
if he says 'What do you want me to do about it....?'
and you say 'I'd like you to destroy your dogs'
You might just hear a few bangs.

By all means get the fence, it'll stop all sorts of other nasties getting in.
And by all means shoot any dogs that come on your property, as the Sherriff suggests.

But be careful and safe whenever you are dealing with this guy. If it makes you feel any better, and it probably won't, recently we lost over twenty chickens in a single day to a feral dog. I shot the dog that night. It hasn't put me off keeping chickens, it's just one of those things that you have to accept might happen. We've lost lots of chickens to feral dogs and two of our cats have been killed by them. If a dog is on your property then it's owner, if it has one, isn't looking after it properly so you need to 'take care' of it.

Don't give up, it was your choice to keep chickens - don't let someone else take that choice from you.

I wish you the best of luck and hope everything goes good for you from now on.​

I made a change but in either case:

The American Century Dictionary

Confront= face up to or deal with , 2. present itself to 3. bring face to face with, 4. meet or stand facing

Rancher

Last edited:
Rancher, sorry I didn't mean to sound nit-picky, but I always considered 'confront' when it means 'meeting face to face' to have additional aggressive or argumentative overtones which, from reading the earlier topic on this subject doesn't sound like a good idea with this fellow.

Never a good idea to go 'off on one' when the other guy is happy to wield a gun and is, apparently, legally entitled to use it.
Cool & calm might not work but it probably won't get you shot.

For the electric fencing, it is fairly easy to put up. You can get most of the supplies at either a Home Depot kind of store or most feed stores will carry the supplies as well. Personally I prefer to either use the electric "tape" or "rope" for the wire instead of the bare wire. It is more visible to you, your kids and the chickens. It is also more visible to the dogs and once they get zapped it could be a visible deterrent. Yes you should take down any brush that is along the fence. Brush can cause the wire to ground itself and not work. I would run as many lines as you can afford. That way you can start your runs low and try not to space them so far apart that a dog could get between the runs. Most chargers can handle miles of wire just read the description on the package. It will tell you how many miles it will cover. The only other thing you might want to consider is if you have a lot of thunderstorms in your area, you might want to get a lightning protection device (not exactly sure what they are called) but they are relatively inexpensive and will protect your charger from a surge. You can also find them with the electric fencing supplies at the before mentioned stores. Hope this helps and good luck to you. I hope that you don't have to face this problem any more.
hugs.gif

I understand about not naming your birds. I don't name mine, either. I've learned over the years to not get too attached. It's just easier that way when something happens. On the flip side, I love having chickens and keep getting them - even after the flock was wiped out by coyotes twice. The first year, after the chickens were gone, they cleaned out my barn cats.... Anyway, I have a much more secure coop and run now and hopefully that will help. I'm sorry for your losses. As far as the neighbor - I would not go to his house under any circumstances. Was it AFTER he waved a gun at you and your children that the sheriff said the guy could shoot you if you knocked on his door? When is that sheriff up for reelection? I'd do some serious campaigning for the other guy when that time comes. If it were a deputy and not the sheriff himself, I would go to the sheriff and report what was said. Pictures of the dogs, the damage and the dead chickens are good documentation if it ever happens again. I wish you all the best.

I support this lady. She did the right thing.

Now, all that tell her to move or go to the town hall, well I say, "please learn about her area first."

I live in a rural area, in a subdivision that has two acre lots. We do not have any city or town jurisdictions, so there is no town or city hall. The only law enforcement we have is County Sheriff or State Troopers. We can own and discharge firearms. In our county we are allowed to shoot any dog or cat, or any other animal that poses a threat to out family, property, or livestock.

I personally do not live in town, because of all the restricitons on animals, firearms, etc. Now, please note, I only have 2 outdoor cats, seven chickens, and one gun, a rifle.

Mam sorry for the late response Ive got pigs comin and am curiously enough runnin electric fence heres a list of stuff you need to rubn the fence string it and get it tight as you can also use 4 - 5 strands place posts every 8 feet ish dont need to measure just guess...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencin...c-controllers/zareba-5-mile-ac-fencer-3680011

http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencin.../sun-guard-ii-fiberglass-step-in-post-3602233

http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencin...accessories/ground-rod-5-8-in-x-6-ft--3600215

http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencin...ire/electric-fence-wire-200-m-656-ft--3601083 (use this its highly visible)

this will get you going

Back
Top Bottom