I Forgot to Lock Them Up Last Night !

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lunachick, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    First time I ever did that............they're OK, but what a shock I got when I went out to the back porch at 7 this morning and !BAGOCK! - Charlene and Dizzy Izzy went flying across the yard [​IMG] I was like "wha?" (this was before coffee) All seven are accounted for. *whew*

I won't let that happen again.

2. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    lad they are safe. Doesn't that just give you a sinking feeling until you can account for all of them!lol

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Quote:Yes, I felt really bad. [​IMG] I left the door to the run & coop wide open [​IMG] a coon could have easily gotten them..............lesson learned.

4. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    hub did that a few nights ago i went shopping and locked them up before i left he came home from work and let them out into their pen and forgot to latch the coop door shut. our 8 year old got up the next morning sobbing all were gone but 1. So we all went climbing through bushes searching and rounded up 10 unharmed chickens. 2 more came back later in the day so all were accounted for. [​IMG] I have long hair and my hair was covered in burdocks [​IMG] We replaced the latch on the coop and also bought a clip so hopefully the coop is now better secure and no one will forget to shut it again.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've done that as well, and thankfully I've also been lucky......GOOD FOR YOU! [​IMG]

6. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    That's funny, a similar thing happened to me last night. When I get the eggs each day, I close the pop door so the rooster doesn't run in and assault me while I'm collecting eggs in the hen house. Then after I get the eggs, I open the pop door again and leave it that way. Yesterday I was getting the eggs while my father was here visiting, and I was distracting chatting with him, and left the pop door closed; then forgot about it all night so they couldn't get back in at sundown. In my case, it's not a big deal, because they're still fully enclosed within the run, so they were plenty safe, I just felt bad. Came out this morning and they were all underneath the hen house peeking out and pouting. I felt like a meanie. [​IMG]

7. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Gosh, I've done that too. Really gives you a jolt! Glad they are ok [​IMG]

8. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    I wasn't so lucky. I had a broody here at the new house but the run isn't erected yet and it was warm so I opened the door for air flow but she stayed on those eggs. I had to leave at 4:30 to go to the airport to pick up my little girls but the flight ended up not getting in until 11 pm and we got home at 1:30 am and I didn't give it one thought.

I thought I had closed it. I closed the coop at my old house...I had to chase everyone with a stick before I left since it was 4:30 pm too early for them to go to bed willingly.

I'm sure it was a fox since my neighbor told me she saw a fox running between our yards about a week ago during a rain storm.

So I woke up to find her gone and 3 feathers in the yard outside the coop and no other trace of her. I went home and got my only other black copper maran mama who had also gone broody and moved her and her eggs here but this morning when I went in there she was roosting in the loft area and not on the eggs. bummer.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Glad nothing came of it Lunachick! [​IMG] We've all had our "oops" moments.
    And sorry you weren't so lucky Maple [​IMG]

10. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    I've done the opposite......open the people door in the morning to feed and they all come rushing out, then forget to open their "chicken sized door". By night fall they are all perched on my porch steps going to sleep because I hadn't realized they can't get back in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by