I Forgot to Lock Them Up Last Night !

Lunachick

Chicken Slave
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brick, NJ
First time I ever did that............they're OK, but what a shock I got when I went out to the back porch at 7 this morning and !BAGOCK! - Charlene and Dizzy Izzy went flying across the yard
ep.gif
I was like "wha?" (this was before coffee) All seven are accounted for. *whew*

I won't let that happen again.

Quote:
Yes, I felt really bad.
sad.png
I left the door to the run & coop wide open
hmm.png
a coon could have easily gotten them..............lesson learned.

hub did that a few nights ago i went shopping and locked them up before i left he came home from work and let them out into their pen and forgot to latch the coop door shut. our 8 year old got up the next morning sobbing all were gone but 1. So we all went climbing through bushes searching and rounded up 10 unharmed chickens. 2 more came back later in the day so all were accounted for.
ya.gif
I have long hair and my hair was covered in burdocks
lol.png
We replaced the latch on the coop and also bought a clip so hopefully the coop is now better secure and no one will forget to shut it again.

That's funny, a similar thing happened to me last night. When I get the eggs each day, I close the pop door so the rooster doesn't run in and assault me while I'm collecting eggs in the hen house. Then after I get the eggs, I open the pop door again and leave it that way. Yesterday I was getting the eggs while my father was here visiting, and I was distracting chatting with him, and left the pop door closed; then forgot about it all night so they couldn't get back in at sundown. In my case, it's not a big deal, because they're still fully enclosed within the run, so they were plenty safe, I just felt bad. Came out this morning and they were all underneath the hen house peeking out and pouting. I felt like a meanie.
hmm.png

I wasn't so lucky. I had a broody here at the new house but the run isn't erected yet and it was warm so I opened the door for air flow but she stayed on those eggs. I had to leave at 4:30 to go to the airport to pick up my little girls but the flight ended up not getting in until 11 pm and we got home at 1:30 am and I didn't give it one thought.

I thought I had closed it. I closed the coop at my old house...I had to chase everyone with a stick before I left since it was 4:30 pm too early for them to go to bed willingly.

I'm sure it was a fox since my neighbor told me she saw a fox running between our yards about a week ago during a rain storm.

So I woke up to find her gone and 3 feathers in the yard outside the coop and no other trace of her. I went home and got my only other black copper maran mama who had also gone broody and moved her and her eggs here but this morning when I went in there she was roosting in the loft area and not on the eggs. bummer.

I've done the opposite......open the people door in the morning to feed and they all come rushing out, then forget to open their "chicken sized door". By night fall they are all perched on my porch steps going to sleep because I hadn't realized they can't get back in.

Back
Top Bottom