I found him hanging....pics

Oh my gosh! Last week my mother found her Cornish rooster hanging by his spur and he was dead! I wonder how often this type of thing happens. He is lucky you found him before he died. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Glad you found him. He is probably very very sore. Good work with the emergency chair. Put vitamins in his food and give vitamin E gel caps, 1 big gelcap 2X a day for his size. Put a hole in the cap and squeeze into his beak. Vitamin E seems to help with many limb problems. I had a roo who was injured and could not move his legs, it took a few weeks of vitamin therepy but one day he got up and kept going. Give him some time to recoop. Also 3 baby aspirin to a gallon water , dissolved, then give him some, can help with the pain.

change his position throughout the day so he is not just lying on one side all the time when he is out of the chicken chair. Keep food and water within beak reach if you can.

My grandma found her roo hanging from the fence one day. She had to cut the fence to get him out!! No clue how long he was that way, there were no other roos in the pen and none outside the pen for him to spar with, perhaps there was a dog or something?? Anyway, he recovered.
Hope your boy does too!!!!!!!!

If you have to keep him suspended for a long period of time, try a sling instead of a box. a soft stretchy fabric can suspend him at an adjustable height, and is less likely to make sores.

Good luck to you and him!

Whenever one of my roosters got stuck in something, the others would immediately attack him! So there may be other injuries.

I fashioned a sling out of a man's tee shirt, (lay flat, cut holes for legs and a poop hole). Then used zip ties to tie it to a wire cage that had a top that would lift up. Feed and water within reach, most of them I did this for were quite comfortable and content. I put the tee shirt sling at the height the rooster could touch the floor, but not put much weight on his legs. Bonus was he got tame as a kitten.

Back
Top Bottom