I found him hanging....pics

I have that pattern printed off from when I needed it last time...sure wish I would have built it then! I cant find the fittings around here for the bottom corners. I changed it up a little and I think it will work--just gotta get the parts! Thanks--Terri O

Joe--not sure if you were referring to my roo or the one in the spur video. Mine doesnt have and bands on him--maybe a trick of the camera? T

Mr Buffo ate a really good breakfast this morning! Here is a pic with him in his new t-shirt sling:
46457_img_0004.jpg

I think he is finding it way more comfortable than his beer box! His legs are still not working properly though...I will find the vitamin E today in town and start him on that. Maybe it will help some. One leg seems to have some power to it but the other one is pretty limp...Terri O

Wow that is some lucky rooster! I LOVE the emergency chair. Gotta cshow that pic to the whole family.

When I removed my guy's spurs a month ago (after he sliced his favorite girl) I used the directions from the Storey guide to chickens. they suggested rubbing lotion or something on the skin at the base of the spurs for a few minutes before reaching for the pliers. My guy blissed out like he was at the spa until the pliers came out!

Glad he's doing well. When I first saw the thread I was scared and thought that there must be something a lot more wrong with him then a hurt leg... looks like he'll be ready to go back in the flock soon!

Thanks for this. I am despuring tomorrow.
Quote:
I did trim the spurs about a half inch back and quicked both of them. I put cornstarch on to stop the bleeding...believe me I will be trimming all the boys tomorrow! T

It's much easier to remove spurs by grasping the spur firmly with a pair of pliers, twist the pliers up and down gently several times; then, keeping the pliers held firmly, pull out and the spur slides off. It's best to have someone else hold the rooster with a cloth over his head; that calms him. You will get a couple drops of blood; just dab them off with a paper towel and put some antibiotic ointment on it.
Really, it's as easy as it sounds.

I had a pullet that did something to her leg. She was still small so she could pull herself around a bit. When I went on my honeymoon I dropped her off at my parents with the dogs. My step-dad talked to his dad, a poultry science major that really thinks that any of my rare breeds are worthless anyways, said I should just cull her. I told them I was giving her some time. Within 2 weeks she started walking again. She always has a limp, but she is doing fine.

Quote:
Oh cripes, I hate that attitude! We raise interesting breeds of chickens and keep irreplaceable genetic information alive and viable. Sure, if you were running a battery cage operation, that might be the right "business" attitude, but saying your chickens are "worthless" just means that your step-dad's dad doesn't know how to assess value outside of his own narrow paradigm. I have spent a lot of money to house and care for my birds and it is worth it all because of the joy of raising and learning from them.

Back
Top Bottom