I found out what killed my chickens

magikchick

~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
SW Florida
I've had 2 chicks missing and 2 hens mutalated and now I know what did it. A hawk was on the ground between my coop and breeding pen yesterday morning. The chickens were going nuts and when I walked out side there he was. He didn't get anyone this time.

Any suggestions on what to do. I don't want to loose anymore if I can help it.

I have an acre that is chain link fenced so they free range in the yard. There is a lot of places for them to hide. The two hens were both attacked by the fence in open places.

Unfortunately there are only two options available to you. Keep your birds in an area that you can cover, or continue to free range and accept the fact that you will have losses. Best wishes.

I have an acre that is chain link fenced so they free range in the yard. There is a lot of places for them to hide. The two hens were both attacked by the fence in open places.

Try hanging CD's around. Hawks don't like the flashing. Another option is to string strands of fishing line across the top of your run. I have a large run for my waterfowl that is impossible to completely cover, so over the more open areas I have the line strung every 4 feet across the whole pen. So far, so good. No losses since doing this.

Good luck. Hawks are tough. They have been my most successful predator.

We use Jerusalem Artichokes for cover. They are a wild sunflower that creates great cover. The roots are edible like a potatoe but have diabetic qualities that the starch is not converted to sugar when fresh. Has a smokey flavor too. Goats love the leaves also.

Back
Top Bottom