I give up! What breed/sex is this one?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dch, Dec 3, 2008.

1. dch

dch Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2008
    I'm a total newbee to the Chicken world. Except when it comes to eating eggs and chicken! [​IMG]
    Can you experts out there tell me what he/she is? Funny story, I live in a motor home traveling to dog shows and visiting with friends. Anyhow while at a flying J truck stop rest area, walking my dogs, I saw this chicken. It had no feathers except around it's neck. When i got done walking the dogs, I went out with a piece of bread. This chicken came running up to me. I kept breaking off tiny pieces of bread and when i got done with half of the slice, the chicken turned around and I grabbed it!
    To keep this post a little short (Hahaha!) It now lives and travels in a dog crate and a pen that I set up outside with a cover and a couple of tarps. Eats like a pig and has grown beautiful feathers.
    The closest picture I could find looks like a Partridge Rock? It's a very quiet chicken.
    It's gotten heavy, big, has 4 toes, Legs and feet are very yellow. And it blushes when I talk to it! Eats out of my hand and my friends hands. Eats everything! And a lot! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now that I look at it's pictures and comparing it to other pictures, it looks like a hen.
    I'm sure y'all will be able to tell me for sure!

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. dch

dch Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2008
    Sorry the pictures aren't better, I took them with my cell phone! [​IMG]

The feathers are really rich in color. Very pretty brown.

I've named it "Chicken J". LOL! Chicken J has put on some weight, must weigh around 8lbs. or more.

I figured this chicken came off one of those big transport chicken trucks. What do you think?

Thanks for the speedy reply!

3. dch

dch Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2008
    Thanks! This is a great forum! [​IMG]

4. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    [​IMG]
    Shes lovely! I have to agree with the golden laced wyandotte and .......
    Wouldn't you just love to know her story!

5. dch

dch Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2008
    Thanks! I just found some good pictures of the GLW and that is exactly what Chicken J looks like! How great!
    Do you think CJ is a Rooster or a hen? How old would you guess?

Yes! I would really love to know CJ's story! [​IMG]

6. ChickenSmitten

ChickenSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Madison Wisconsin
    it looks like my gold laced wyandottes but with a bigger comb. I am not skilled at the telling of boys from girls tho so ill leave that to the experts

7. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I think she's a hen even though she has big wattles & comb. Look after her well-with all that gold on her, she should be treasured [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by