I give up! What breed/sex is this one?

dch

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 3, 2008
I'm a total newbee to the Chicken world. Except when it comes to eating eggs and chicken!
wink.png

Can you experts out there tell me what he/she is? Funny story, I live in a motor home traveling to dog shows and visiting with friends. Anyhow while at a flying J truck stop rest area, walking my dogs, I saw this chicken. It had no feathers except around it's neck. When i got done walking the dogs, I went out with a piece of bread. This chicken came running up to me. I kept breaking off tiny pieces of bread and when i got done with half of the slice, the chicken turned around and I grabbed it!
To keep this post a little short (Hahaha!) It now lives and travels in a dog crate and a pen that I set up outside with a cover and a couple of tarps. Eats like a pig and has grown beautiful feathers.
The closest picture I could find looks like a Partridge Rock? It's a very quiet chicken.
It's gotten heavy, big, has 4 toes, Legs and feet are very yellow. And it blushes when I talk to it! Eats out of my hand and my friends hands. Eats everything! And a lot!
big_smile.png

19364_image_042.jpg

19364_image_039.jpg

19364_image_038.jpg

Now that I look at it's pictures and comparing it to other pictures, it looks like a hen.
I'm sure y'all will be able to tell me for sure!

Thanks

Last edited:
It looks like a golden laced wyandotte mixed with a RIR...the head looks like an RIR to me and the body looks like a GLW...I could be completely off here and probably am since I'm not good at this!!! lol
tongue.png

Sorry the pictures aren't better, I took them with my cell phone!
big_smile.png

The feathers are really rich in color. Very pretty brown.

I've named it "Chicken J". LOL! Chicken J has put on some weight, must weigh around 8lbs. or more.

I figured this chicken came off one of those big transport chicken trucks. What do you think?

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Thanks! I just found some good pictures of the GLW and that is exactly what Chicken J looks like! How great!
Do you think CJ is a Rooster or a hen? How old would you guess?

Yes! I would really love to know CJ's story!
D.gif

I think she's a hen even though she has big wattles & comb. Look after her well-with all that gold on her, she should be treasured
wink.png

Look like hens to me...the reason why I said it might be gold laced wyandotte mixed with an RIR or something is her comb and wattles look like a RIR hen to me...hmmm...the mystery chickens! They're adorable mystery chickens, that's for sure!!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom