I got a new puppy!!!!!!! Yay!

Quote:
I have her bed in front of the heater in my room, but there is no point in it being there...she sleeps in my bed anyway...

Ha, ha, ha, your in for it now! Just kidding. What breed is she??
Btw, you MUST post pics, I'm need my puppy fix!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
I have her bed in front of the heater in my room, but there is no point in it being there...she sleeps in my bed anyway...

Ha, ha, ha, your in for it now! Just kidding. What breed is she??
Btw, you MUST post pics, I'm need my puppy fix!!!!

Gaaahhh, you're telling me!!!! After washing my face in the middle of the night (she is a face licker....), I made her sleep at the BOTTOM of the bed...with my robe over her, and on top of 4 blankets... Do you think I spoil her? Lol.

Four weeks is WAY too young, I don't know about dogs, but a 4 week old kitten isn't even CLOSE to weaning age O-o I would imagine puppies are the same.

it's actually illigal to sell or give away baby animals (puppies and kittens) under 8 weeks of age in most places, here it;s 10 weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if these people got reported, if not you should be the one to do it.

were these born outdoors and that's why they wanted them gone?, if they were indoors there is no reason they couldn't have held onto the pups for an 4 or 5 weeks.

she'll have a hard time learning not to bite too hard, you'll probably have a heck of a time potty training her, and I wouldn't be the least time surprised if she has a few disgestive tract issues as an adult from being forced to wean so early as her little system is still developing.

ON the plus side, if you start EARLY with training, and she's smart, which if she's a border collie mix, she;s bound to be.

then you'll have a DARN good dog on your hands by the time she's fully grown
big_smile.png

Be prepared for a VERY active dog! In July I adopted Sammie, an 8-month-old Black Lab/Border Collie mix and I think it is a great combination. Below is a pic of what yours may end up looking like. My girl weighs 38lb, has the strength of a lab, the intelligence of a border collie, and the ability to go ALL day long without getting tired. I'm going to suggest a few things to you. First is that you will have to give your dog a job. Being so intelligent and active, they get bored easily, and need to be constantly challenged. My Sammie loves to play Fetch. She will fetch a frisbee if that is the only option but her main love is balls. I vary it for her as they each provide a different experience. She loves to try to catch them out of the air, and with the frisbee, has to vary her technique based on winds. I set aside about an hour a day to play Fetch with her, as without that time to stretch out her muscles and work off some energy, she will get very hyper. At four weeks your pup is probably still quite mellow, but in a few weeks time you will need to start devoting quite a bit of time to keeping her busy/occupied. Of course there are days that the weather will not allow you to get outside to play and you need to have a backup option for those days. I have invested quite a bit into "interactive dog toys" for my dog. Most of these involve hiding treats in a toy and she has to try to get them out. If you do a search on Amazon for "interactive dog toys" you will find quite a few options. I can recommend the Kong Wobbler, which is a large kong-shaped toy that you can open up to fit about a cup of kibble into. She then has to roll it around to let the kibble fall out of a hole in the side. Sammie actually prefers to eat her meals out of the Wobbler than her food bowl (sometimes if I feed her in her bowl, she just sniffs, walks away, and then goes over to the Wobbler to bat it and see if there's anything in it. If I then take the food from the bowl and put it in the Wobbler, she will happily work it until its gone). It keeps her busy for 30 minutes or so, getting out every last bit of kibble, compared to the 5 minutes it would take her to empty her bowl. I also recommend the "everlasting treat ball" which is made of silicone and they can chew and chew and chew it without even leaving a tooth mark. It also has an opening to hide a treat. I usually try to wedge a stick of something into it so that it takes her awhile to get it out, but even once she has succeeded she will be happy to just chew on the ball for awhile.

The second thing, is to work her mind. Sammie already has a large vocabulary of words and phrases that she understands: all the usual commands plus, drop the ball, go find your [fill in the blank], get out of the kitchen, get in the back, bring me the [fill in the blank] and so on. When I talk to her, she cocks her head to one side to try to understand what I am saying - interaction and understanding her world are very important to her. To keep her from getting bored, I have to constantly teach. We are currently in obedience classes where she has to learn something new each week and we then practice the lessons every day (I work off excess energy playing Fetch first, and then practice obedience lessons). Another game we play that works her mind is "Hide and Seek". I will take a handful of treats and hide them around the house, then tell her to go find them, and she has to use her nose to sniff them out. This keeps her mind stimulated and working the brain can be every bit as exhausting for a dog as working the body. This is also a good game to play on days when the weather prohibits outside activities.

If your pup is as active as Sammie, you will have your work cut out for you in the first 3 years or so until she matures. DD and I ride horses, and we have 160 acres that we can ride several times a week. When we ride, we do so for around 2 hours at a time and love to do canter work, so we cover quite a few miles. Sammie loves to go with us to the barn and for every mile we ride, she goes 10. She runs ahead, stays behind to sniff the smells, runs down to the river to check stuff out, flushes a deer or rabbit, dives into the river to cool off and get a drink.....well, you get the picture. If we stop to let the horses graze, she will gallop around and around and around us in big circles, enjoying the speed. Sounds exhausting right? You'd think so but, we get back to the barn and untack and groom our horses. Sammie, meanwhile, races around playing with the barn cats, and leaping up to try to catch poop as we clean runs, and if we call her to us, gallops over, with a "Ok! What are we going to do NOW?" look on her face. In short, she never gets tired. Never.

I've had dogs all my life but Sammie is special. I hope your pup is as special to you. But do also know what you have got yourself into!

38935_sammie-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom